Thread: WorkSharp CBN Discs

WorkSharp CBN Discs

I see that WoodTurners Wonders is offering CBN discs for the WorkSharp 3000. I have been using diamond plates on mine for about a year now and love them for sharpening my turning tools. Does anyone have any experience with the CBN's that could give a comparison between the two?
    I realize the advantage to using CBN's on a grinder, so I'm curious as to their use on the WorkSharp.
    Thanks,
    Steve
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Wow. 6 grits for $150. I paid $15 each for 6 diamond disks and they didn't last all that long. If the cbn disks are better made, that could be the way to go. Hope to hear from someone with experience with them. LINK.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

How fast does the 3000 turn? I don't see any advantage of CBN over diamond as long as the grinding speeds are low and of course, the particles are bonded with equal quality. Diamond cuts better and can be use on more materials. The real advantage of CBN is with steel at high grinding speeds where diamond degrades.

Along the same line of reasoning, I see no value in CBN hones and plates since the speeds are never high. I know Rizza sells CBN hones but he has ordered diamond for me on request and perhaps would order diamond WS3000 disks if you ask (assuming the surface speed is low enough - I can't remember the specs.). His prices have always been lower than almost anyone else and I like the quality.

BTW, I use the diamond to sharpen ceramic and carbide.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Eure View Post
    I see that WoodTurners Wonders is offering CBN discs for the WorkSharp 3000. I have been using diamond plates on mine for about a year now and love them for sharpening my turning tools. Does anyone have any experience with the CBN's that could give a comparison between the two?
    I realize the advantage to using CBN's on a grinder, so I'm curious as to their use on the WorkSharp.
    Thanks,
    Steve

I called and talked them him about them, if I could sharpen carbine on the CBN and his answer was NO. I sharpen carbide a lot on my worksharp so I didn’t buy any.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Grauer View Post
    I called and talked them him about them, if I could sharpen carbine on the CBN and his answer was NO. I sharpen carbide a lot on my worksharp so I didn’t buy any.
    Ken says that but I'm not completely convinced. A friend brought carbide tools to my shop and we tried grinding carbide cutters on the flat sides of one wheel, using light pressure. It appeared to work fine and he bought a wheel for that - I'll try to remember to ask him how it worked out in the long run.

Although the CBN cut the carbide I'm worried that the wheel would be degraded too quickly. Perhaps Ken has some experience with that. I personally plan to stick to diamond for carbide and ceramic. We sharpen carbide bits for machining. I sharpen ceramic cutters for shearing llamas and alpacas.

I saw Stuart Batty recently, and he commented that for a production turner, CBN wheels are good for about 5 years, which I can agree with. CBN will take down carbide, but the carbide is harder than the CBN, so it will wear them out faster. If I wanted to sharpen a lot of carbide, I would make sure to use lapping fluid, and VERY LIGHT pressure.

robo hippy

I bought the set. Looks well made. Sits nicely in the arbor and spins well inspite of heft. I was rarely using the worksharp now due to tediousness when changing discs. This will let me use it more often hopefully. I use it mostly for chisels and small plane irons.
    Turning tools goto the grinder or Tormek.

I have been using Tormec jigs on my WorkSharp to sharpen my turning tools. I bought the diamond disc and have been surprised at how well they sharpen my gouges. I have been wondering if buying the CBN's would be beneficial because of their longevity compared to the diamond plates.
    Ashwini, please give an update when you use them. Would like some honest feedback.
    Thanks,
    Steve
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE