Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sill to concrete barrier

Blog Entries
    I bought enough Tyvek to go around the shed a couple of times for $30. Should I double it up, making sure the printed side is out?
    I haven't put a roof on it yet. Trying to decide the best way to make rafters without 2x4s running across the top sill plate.
    Should the roof be on before Tyveking the walls?
    Building just this small shed is the first structure I've ever built and I want it right the first time.
    It will have staggered studs, but I plan to seal it all up prior to the choice of siding to use so I can set up the Clearview before adding the inner studs. I'd this ok to do?
    Also, since the top of the walls are 2x6, should I just use 2x6s for the rafters since I have enough on hand ?
    The shed is very small, only about 4x6.
    I made the walls 9 feet because I didn't want to have to worry about clearance and accessibility to the top of the DC.
    Last edited by Bill Jobe; 10-20-2019 at 12:26 PM.

Blog Entries
    Has anyone used the roof sealant that comes in a bucket and is it as good as rolls of EDPM?
    Also, can rubberized products that brush, peel and stick or spray on be used on the underside of a metal roof on a small shed?
    The acorns are driving me crazy. Also, will it prevent condensation on the underside of the
    roof when I turn on heat?
    At one time I had hundreds of square feet of 45mil EDPM on hand when I closed my koi pond, but I used it many places. Nice to have.
    Thank you.

Blog Entries

Cool

I'm using OSB under a, as yet, undecided siding, such as prefinished sheets.
    Should the bird's mouth notch of the trusses sit against the OSB or the finish siding?
    Also, since I'm building staggered stud walls using 2x6s, should I use 2x6s for the trusses or just 2x4s? And is there any need with this size to use a ridge beam, or can I just butt the 2 together and add a piece of OSB at the peak and the ends of the truss?
    The shed is only about 4'3" x 6'.
    One more thing...above I asked if I should apply a rubberized coating, either roll or spray/brush on, to the underside of the steel roof of my shop?
    Last edited by Bill Jobe; 10-27-2019 at 9:55 AM.

I would respectfully disagree as to using tapcons on exterior shear walls. They don’t have the holding power or surface area under the head to prevent lifting forces in extreme weather scenarios. They are perfectly suitable as secondary fasteners near plate joints and for interior partitions.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Fish View Post
    I would respectfully disagree as to using tapcons on exterior shear walls. They don’t have the holding power or surface area under the head to prevent lifting forces in extreme weather scenarios. They are perfectly suitable as secondary fasteners near plate joints and for interior partitions.
    I agree, Steve, and, as I wrote on post 20, another way presented itself.
    "But,.....the guy on TV said....".
    I fell for it.
    Thankfully, my SIL came through with a terrific hammer drill and some epoxy with a caulking gun that mixes the 2 parts. Blew out the holes (the manufacturer advised me not to drill clear through the slab, so I went down 2.5", filled with epoxy and dropped a threaded rod in each hole and a nut and washer, finger tight.enough to hold the bolt straight but not enough to raise the threaded rod.
    The epoxy set up in a matter of a few minutes.
    But I let it set up overnight before tightening the nuts. The walls were standing and I had secured them very well with braces.
    In the morning I tightened 1 (a sacrifice hole)
    And tighten it down to perhaps 40lbs with no problem.
    So went the rest of them. Very quick and easy.
    Thank you for your concern, Steve. I appreciate your post.
    Got a lot more done today. Ready to build a roof.
    Going's slow. I'm 69 with bad shoulders, bad back, bad hips and bad knees...and a fall yesterday pulled a groin muscle.
    My wife is my only helper and she has been a real blessing. I could not have gotten this far without her help, and her knees are worse than mine.
    Today took it's toll, so I took my last pain pill I had been saving from my last surgery. I'm going to hurt in the morning. (Yes, I offered it to her, but she will not use pain meds)

Blog Entries
    Is 7/16" OSB strong enough for a total roof width of less than 4 1/2 feet , wall to wall? I plan to build it with a 4/12 or steeper pitch.