Thread: Inset drawer face assembly on a dresser

Inset drawer face assembly on a dresser

I am building a dresser with inset drawers and using Grass dynapro 3D guides. Top row and 2nd row went fine, but I have run into an issue on the 3rd and 4th rows. The drawer height is 6-1/2 & 7-1/2 respectively and @ 28-1/2" long.

Problem is when I set up the 1/16" spacing for the drawer face in the opening and attach the face, then remove the spacers, the drawer after the face is attached; on the right side(facing) is dropping down flush with the bottom opening. For the life me of I can't figure out why?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Brian

Blog Entries
    You putting the drawer faces on after the drawer box installation or installing the drawer face,box all at one time..

I use thin double-stick tape to temporarily get the drawer fronts on the box without lifting or moving the drawer itself with the shims to space. Then I gently pull the drawer out, usually by reaching in from below and use quick clamps to fix it in place while doing the screws to hold it in place permanently.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    You can also align the drawers were you want them and drill for pulls which will give you about a mil of play as well. But still need to know how your mounting?

I've tried sticky tape in Commercial shops. Waste of money

I have installed the guides and mounted the drawer boxes on the guides in the opening, then I am adding the drawer faces to the drawer box. Placing a shim in two places on the bottom and each side for proper spacing. I am drilling two holes near each end and on hole in the middle; I have drilled the counter sink in the drawer box before doing this. I am holding the drawer face in place and predrilling through the counter sunk hole and mounting one screw in each end to fix the face to the box. Then I install the balance of screws.

Thanks. Brian

I've also used hot melt glue to hold down the faces. It gives me about 15 seconds to move the drawer face around to a perfect position before it sets. Then I open the drawer and drill the holes for the pulls using a jig or plywood spacer.
    Regards,

Tom

Why don't you use the adjustments on the guides to lift the low end up?

Quote Originally Posted by Max Neu View Post
    Why don't you use the adjustments on the guides to lift the low end up?
    Not all guides make such adjustment easy.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    The DynaPro's are very easy,just slide the green wedge forward.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    That's why we still have professionals ..

Figured it out. One of the catches mounted underneath the box in front was not flat. I screwed it in at an odd angle and the ass end was raised up. This pushed the guide up when it was engaged and threw everything off. The weight of the face was enough weight to make it lay flat after I removed the spacers. Drilled out the holes and used wood putty. Will reassembled later.

Note to self: "don't do this again."

Thanks for the help.

Brian

I always weigh my drawers down when applying fronts. It helps stabilize them against errant bumps and settles the drawer into the position it will be in during use.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    I always weigh my drawers down when applying fronts. It helps stabilize them against errant bumps and settles the drawer into the position it will be in during use.
    That is a good tip I will have to remember.

great suggestion. thanks.

Jim, Good morning. My fix did not solve the problem. This drawer is like a chair or table with one leg too short. It is pivoting on opposite corners and the two other opposite corners are moving up and down depending on how much weight is on the drawer. Not sure what I need to correct. Any ideas? Thaks.

Brian