Thread: T/S Miter Slot

T/S Miter Slot

Is the space between table saw miter slots a uniform measurement (eg. Powermatic, Delta, Sawstop)?

Quote Originally Posted by Vince Shriver View Post
    Is the space between table saw miter slots a uniform measurement (eg. Powermatic, Delta, Sawstop)?
    From what I understand, the answer is no. I think the distance can vary even from saw model to saw model by the same manufacturer.
    And there was trouble, taking place...

No!

When I made my outfeed table, I researched this so I could put a miter slot into the it. From the current table saw I have, Ridgid TS-3650 and any of the SawStops at the time, they appeared to be different. Thus I just lowered my outfeed table to allow the miter bars to clear it. Later if I upgrade to a different tablesaw, I might put a miter slot in the outfeed or maybe just continue using it in a lowered position.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I have a Jet, and a General, table saw. The miter slots are not uniform on mine.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

3/4 X 3/8" miter slots are the Quasi standard for 10" table saws, but the smaller contractor table saws being sold today don't seem to follow this very closely. What looks like a 3/4 X 3/8" slot frequently isn't and you will run into problems when trying to use table saw jigs that are manufactured to this standard, like tenon jigs, I-Box jig, etc. Jigs like this need very tight tolerances in the bar to slot fit. Any slop at all reduces the accuracy of the jig's function. The spacing between the miter slots and the blade don't seem to follow a standard at all, except maybe within a manufacturer's own line. The Delta Unisaws and contractor saws made by the previous Delta and Rockwell companies did adhere very well to the 3/4 X 3/8" slot dimensions though. My 86 Unisaw miter slots are within just a few thousandths of the standard and jigs work very well on it without any modification. Measure the miter slots before buying the saw, and then decide if it's worth modifying any jigs that you want to meet whatever dimensions the miter slots and blade spacing might be. The Delta Universal Tenon Jig that I bought years ago has several sets of holes for changing the bar to blade spacing, but only came with the 3/4 X 3/8 bar. It works well, once you figure out how to assemble it to match your saw. I suppose it's possible to buy, or have made, a different size bar, but looking for the right saw might save a lot of money and trouble.

Charley
    Last edited by Charles Lent; 10-06-2019 at 8:48 AM.