Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How good are Northfield bandsaws?

How good are Northfield bandsaws?

I have never seen one in the wild and from what reading and information I can gather they seem like impressive machines. In particular I am looking at the 27 and 32 inch models. I am looking to use a larger bandsaw for resaw and joinery. The resew height is less than a European bandsaw of that size which is fine as I don't have much stock greater than 14-15". Who has or has used a Northfield 27 or 32 and how do you like it? If anyone has also used the Minimax s600 (mm24) how would you compare the two?

Please clarify...older Northfield or current Northfield? Brand names move around. Kinda different animals...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

It is more about cast iron vs steel than Northfield vs others. NF is still in business and the 27" in particular is a nicely designed saw. In the " old days " the Northfield was slightly lighter in castings than an Oliver 217, Tanny PH, Yates Y30 or others. By today's build standards it is very heavy. I'm partial to cast iron with two Olivers, and a Y20 but a well tuned saw that can tension a 1" Trimaster at 30,000 without vibration is good whether steel or cast iron. The cast iron saws used the frame to dampen vibration so the wheels could be lighter. A good steel frame saw will usually run heavy cast iron wheels.

Years ago, when researching a large steel saw to replace my ACM 18", I talked to many people about brands. Often the advise about the steel saw ended with " of course none can compete with a cast iron saw ". I don't know if that is totally true but if the Northfield is well balanced, in good condition, and has at least a 3 hp motor running at 700 or 900 rpm, you can't go wrong./ Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Please clarify...older Northfield or current Northfield? Brand names move around. Kinda different animals...
    Not this brand name. They're still the same guys doing the same thing they've always done.

To answer the OP's question, I've seen a 27" model in person and it's truly old-school impressive. They're big old heavy machines made to work long hours every day. That said, nobody exactly complains about the quality of a good S600p either.

Thanks for your replies everyone. Here is a video tour of the Northfield factory. watch

Jim: Even though I have fantasies about a shop full of brand new Northfield machines, I am currently looking at used machines.

Dave: Thank you for your thoughts on cast v. steel saws. Aesthetically I am partial to the cast iron as well and consider the Oliver 217 the Platonic Form of Bandsawness. I think I can actually fit the Northfield 27 in my shop, though I may have to cut out a section of exterior wall to get it in.

Will: I appreciate the first hand insights on the 27. I am sure I would be happy with either saw.

Michael

Northfield is Northfield. same machines, same building, same family for almost a century.

They are good saws, but I think you can find something a bit more appealing to look at with a bit more under the guides for around the same price.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    Northfield is Northfield. same machines, same building, same family for almost a century.
    Good to know. Perhaps I was confusing them with another brand name...so many "old names" went to new companies over the years!
    --

Good to know. Perhaps I was confusing them with another brand name...so many "old names" went to new companies over the years!
    There was Northtech and Norfield, both similar names.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    They are good saws, but I think you can find something a bit more appealing to look at with a bit more under the guides for around the same price.
    Darcy, do you have recommendations for something with more under the guards?

Michael

Can’t comment on the older cast iron saws—ceilings are too short to own one or else I would—but I can comment on resaw height. I have used 18-19.5” plenty of times on my saw. I would be disappointed if I was limited to 12-14”.

Jim Becker doesn’t know what he’s talking about?! What?! Are you okay Jim? Lol

You are probably thinking about Oliver. Pisses me off ever time I see an ad for “Oliver” and is blue. Why not pick a new name, it’s not the same stuff?!

Selling and buying known brand names is a big money thing sometimes, especially for a name that has a lot of "goodwill" and recognization. How long that goodwill lasts, however, is up to the new owner. If they shirk quality, customer service, etc., as compared to the earlier/original incarnation of the name, it will not be long until their only customers are "uninformed" customers. Unfortunately, there are a lot of those out there...
    --

Recently i got caught here when someone asked for information about a "northwoods" machine. A common made in China machine not a Northfield.
    I notice harbor Freight will invent a name similar to a old line good brand name. After a few years, when folks realize it is just made in china junk, they change the color and invent a new name.
    I think their newest brand Bauer, is supposed to be mistaken for Bosch etc.
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 10-05-2019 at 11:00 AM.

Blog Entries
    Pretty sure Northfeild still offers replacement parts for older machines.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.