Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How About Roads That Sing?

Blog Entries

How About Roads That Sing?

The theory is it will keep traveler's speed down:

Is it just me or have other folks imagined music when driving over the various bumps glued to the road?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN8eEOz7PeY ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN8eEOz7PeY

There is also one in Lancaster, California with a part from William Tell.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Hope no one lives nearby and has to listen to that all day and all night.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    There is also one in Lancaster, California with a part from William Tell.
    I've driven that road...once. I pity any poor bugger who has to use it for his daily commute, and I'd love to know how usage of that stretch changed as the locals fled to alternate routes.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Blog Entries
    There is also a singing road in New Mexico that sings America the Beautiful. You have to drive at just the right speed with the passenger side tires on the strips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgizA_vDlzs
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

30 years ago, near Williamsport Maryland, the west bound side of I-70 was (I believe the term is) "scrabbled" to avoid slippery conditions during freezing rain. The result was different patches of frequency of grooves. At 65 MPH, it sounded like a person humming horribly off key and it went one for four or five miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    There is also a singing road in New Mexico that sings America the Beautiful. You have to drive at just the right speed with the passenger side tires on the strips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgizA_vDlzs
    I wonder if that's the same the one Jim linked to?

I'm with @Lee DeRaud - the novelty would get old pretty quick. Hope the lane is wide enough that you don't have to run over the rumble strips that cause it to sing. And OMG, what if your home was within earshot of that road?
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    Maybe they should try a little Simon and Garfunkel, "Slow Down Your Moving Too Fast, Gotta Make the Morning Last… "

They could make it sound like sirens. That might get people to slow down.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Or the giant xylophone in the Japanese forest.
    Bil lD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=L2BWrmNhyXU
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 10-04-2019 at 11:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Or the giant xylone in the Japanese forest.
    Bil lD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=L2BWrmNhyXU
    THAT was pretty dang neat Bill. Thanks for posting.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Hope the lane is wide enough that you don't have to run over the rumble strips that cause it to sing. And OMG, what if your home was within earshot of that road?
    As I recall, the one in Lancaster was lane-wide lateral grooves, so no avoiding it. OTOH, it was well away from any residences.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

I hope no one starts using them to feed advertisements to drivers.

Jim, I’ll have to check it out next time I head that way. It’s only about 8 miles from the house.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    Bill, the xylophone is fantastic.

jtk

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I hope no one starts using them to feed advertisements to drivers.
    Don't even suggest it .........

As I remember it, the road near Lancaster was done that way partially because there were so many accidents on it. It is a desert road, which has a lot of traffic and speeders, connecting two major highways.

It also had a lot of night time accidents because of people falling asleep.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.