Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Two Year Old Camaster Stinger III

Two Year Old Camaster Stinger III

I have a locally available Camaster Stinger III. It's a 4 X 8 machine with a three head setup. Whats the benefit of the three head arrangement? Is it an alternative to an ATC system? What's a fair price? He says it was $18,000 new. He's discounted it a lot from that amount. Nearly half. He did say it needs a new vacuum system. Any input on whether this is a good system? The good thing is it's only about 20 miles from me. I should add that they had to move it into storage because of the flood of 2019 and they lost the use of the building it was housed in. I'm unsure of the hours. What things should I look for if I go to inspect it.
    Last edited by Ronald Blue; 10-03-2019 at 8:36 PM.

The 3 heads should be two routers and one spindle. It's sort of in between normal and an ATC. Yes, Camaster Stingers are good, built like a tank and you will have tech support on it even tho you aren't the original owner plus they have a great forum with many knowledgable people and it's pretty active. Typically Camasters usually bring 50-75% of the original price. If he is around 1/2 then it sounds like a good deal. It should come with a computer and software. In the WinCNC program you can find the hours used.

If it's the one listed on their forum, the thread was moved so I can't check it out. I don't know of any specific things on a Camaster that you need to worry about checking out. just the normal stuff. Go ask on their forum, you'll get some honest answers from folks there about the X3 and what to look for.
    Last edited by bobby milam; 10-03-2019 at 9:59 PM.

That's what the photos show now that you have clarified it. Definitely a main spindle with two routers on each side. I will visit the Camaster forum. Thanks for the feedback.

I expect one of the resident Camaster owners will step up later today with some useful input. Keep in mind that you will probably need to hire some riggers or a transport company to move it for you. To me this sounds like an excellent deal and price as long as there are no major surprises.
    David

As to moving. Put on wheels and rool on trailor. If only 2 years killer deal.
    Last edited by eugene thomas; 10-04-2019 at 8:55 AM.

The Stinger III is an excellent machine...it's like my Stinger II, but four feet longer. Very stout, fully welded base. The X3 head is a unique way to provide a "poor man's ATC" so you can have three different tools loaded simultaneously, generally with the primary tool for the work in the center spindle which gives full control over RPM from software and the other two on a pair of routers for other needs. The legs are tapped for 3/4 x 10 so you can, in fact, put casters on it for moving it around and then remove them once you determine final placement. (It's not recommended to leave it on casters for production)

I agree with Eugene...killer deal. Actually, the owner who is selling it got a great deal if he only paid about $18K for it. That's what my Stinger II came in for new last year. Camaster supports for life, too, regardless of owner changes.

Do join Camheads...great forum that's specific to the yellow machines and VERY helpful people. Sometimes specialized is a good thing.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I joined Camhead's but apparently haven't been verified. I got the email to confirm my account. However I am unable to view any photos at this time. It says waiting in moderation queue.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    I joined Camhead's but apparently haven't been verified. I got the email to confirm my account. However I am unable to view any photos at this time. It says waiting in moderation queue.
    PM me the user name you used and I'll message the Admin for you to get your full access turned on.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    PM me the user name you used and I'll message the Admin for you to get your full access turned on.
    PM sent Jim

PM sent Jim
    Issue is fixed...
    --

If the weather cooperates this should be in my possession on Friday morning. If it's raining I won't transport it. Was able to watch it run through initialization and everything is moving and functioning as I believe it should.

If the weather cooperates this should be in my possession on Friday morning. If it's raining I won't transport it. Was able to watch it run through initialization and everything is moving and functioning as I believe it should.

Good for you Ronald!! Let's see some photos once you have it setup in your shop.
    David

An easy way to move it depending on your access to your shop is to just hire a flatbed wrecker and he can slide it right into the doorway and then all you need is some dollies. I had to move mine 900 miles so I needed a trailer and then had to rent a forklift which ended up being 2" too tall to get thru the garage door.

Congrats on the purchase. You will love it.

Can I have a photo if possible? How did everything go?

Liam I have a couple photos I took when I looked at it. I can post them. I will get more after I get it moved. Temporarily I think I will put it in my garage because my shop isn't ready for it. I have a tilt bed trailer to haul it on.