Thread: Milling Service in Bay Area Norcal? Osage Orange Log

Milling Service in Bay Area Norcal? Osage Orange Log

Log is located in sisters backyard. I was able to save this from the chipper.

It's 24"x65" and would like it slabbed. I'm not sure if I can get it to the front yard. I'll have to look. Found one company locally, 30 min drive, that said $125hr on site with a chainsaw setup, not the best cut, but includes waxing of ends and stickering. Drive time is part of hourly. So probably 2.5 hours maybe?

They also have an onsite woodmizer that's faster and cleaner, I just don't know if I can get it there or even to the front yard. they have a small dingo thing to pick up the log but it may not fit through the fence.

A couple of challenges just make it interesting. If he can get the dingo in to the back yard, he could lift the log and drop it over the fence, then go through the gate and pick it up again (it'll leave a dent unless you put something under it to absorb the shock). The end shot raises some concerns. Keep in mind that there are as many annual rings between the heart and the bottom of the log as there are between the heart and the top of the log. There will be significant drying stresses. In my experience, you'll want your cuts to to be in the horizontal plane (as the log end is pictured), not vertical. E.G. 11:00 to 1:00, 10:00 to 2:00, etc. At least each board will have similar width rings across its width.

If you have a lathe I would cut it into bowl blanks and use it that way; wouldn't be worth the effort and expense for what likely will be low quality lumber. FWIW, chainsaw mills can cut just as cleanly and smoothly as a bandsaw mill, just a lot slower and with much higher kerf losses.

John

I recommend Bill Riddings at CalUrban Lumber in Pacheco. He milled Claro Walnut for me in 2015 and I am happy with the results. It was kind of expensive but I did not have a chainsaw mill at that time I agree with the pith that off center slabs are going to cup and twist as they dry you might have trouble getting 1 nice table top even milling them rough at 3" slabs.

Patrick,

I've a friend in Petaluma that was also looking to have a log milled. My research found this guy : Kyle Dowd 707-774-2787 in Santa Rosa

He was recommended by someone on Nextdoor Neighbor. He is on Facebook as Golden State Portable Milling. I don't have experience with him but he certainly has the tools for the job.

Cheers,

Kent