Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New Lee Valley Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    Here's some good news.....

I jumped on at lunchtime and the bent gouges that had evaporated from my wish list were back down to the old website prices so I went ahead and ordered them.
    LOL- Don't think they don't know what they're doing...

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    I don't think I've never had a website keep me signed in when I check that box. As soon as I leave the site & return, I have to login again. Or rather, Chrome logs me back in if I have saved the login info. I had no problem logging in to the new site.
    It's supposed to just display your name and then you type in your password.
    The old site was awesome tho in that it would hold both and when you clicked 'Login' from the same computer, you were in automatically. Not very secure for the user but I loved it.

It made me buy many more things.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    It's supposed to just display your name and then you type in your password.
    The old site was awesome tho in that it would hold both and when you clicked 'Login' from the same computer, you were in automatically. Not very secure for the user but I loved it.

It made me buy many more things.
    The new website behaves exactly like the old when I login, but I'm reading that there are a few that have had issues with the login process.

My wish list is intact, but I did find one glitch. In my Purchase Later list, there is a can of paste wax that I had actually already bought about a week before the new site launch. No apparent way to get rid of it.

Just placed an order. Like already mentioned, the "Month" and "Year" drop-downs for the Credit Card took quite a bit of time to become functional. Found what I was looking for without too much drama though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    LOL- Don't think they don't know what they're doing...
    I’ll bet they were originally in Canadian dollars.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Could very well be.

But not anywhere near as much fun.

So I'll go back to my original review of the new web site: "I don't like it. It's different."

But I'll allow the time for the evolution to make it better. And by the time that takes place, I will have forgotten whatever it was I was whining about.

Life is perfectly designed.

But I'd still like to hear about the final plan by next Thursday.

I'm sorry- what were we talking about?

I'm with Dave Zellers - I don't like it. But then I don't like the recent look of most web sites. I go to these places for content, and I see acres of pictures that are either relevant or most white space. So everything is harder to find. Yeah, it looks more "modern" or maybe Scandinavian, but it's not easier to use.

Probably as Jim says it's better tuned for mobile devices. I don't browse on my phone, so wouldn't know. At least it's not continuous scroll everywhere. Nothing brings out the grumpy old man in me like continuous scroll.

I will absolutely admit that it's harder to find things now with this new software setup...I was browsing last night for a few things to put on my wish list. This is the same software or similar to what is now in place on quite a few of the online tool vendors I occasionally shop at and is more "word search" oriented than "menu drill down" oriented as it was before. And yea, that's better for mobile, but less convenient on the "big screen". Not going to change my shopping habits, however...LV is still "da best".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Well I browsed around on the new site, can't say I like it, hard to navigate, requires way to much mouse and cursor movement.

For instance, I wanted to browse all measuring tools, but at 10 per page, plus you have to scroll down so far after each page refresh, I'd probably give up and head to Amazon.

My opinion, it's a major step backwards.

Chris, you can set the number if items per page as much as 100...box at the top just above the items.
    --

I find that most anytime someone changes their user interface, there's a period of "Man I just HATE this new software." (For example, think about Windows' evolution or stuff they use at work.) Sometimes the changes really do stink. But alot of the time, we're unhappy because we arent used to it yet. I guess we'll see.

I just wish it was faster. It seems slower than the old system.

YMMV.
    Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 10-14-2019 at 9:26 PM. Reason: Typo
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Chris, you can set the number if items per page as much as 100...box at the top just above the items.
    Thanks, missed that.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    Thanks, missed that.
    NP. It's a common feature on most sites with this kind of design now. At least the Lee Valley implementation seems to remember it session to session, unlike many other retailers. I like that because I typically prefer the display to be as many products as possible even though that might make the initial load time for the page to be a little longer if there are a lot of items to show.
    --

Blog Entries
    This is one of my disappointments:

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...fogging-nozzle

There is no indication of the flow rate for this nozzle. Currently there are six of this type of spray nozzle used in my greenhouse with rates from 1/4 gal/min to 4 gal/min. If one gets lost, as recently happened, this would be a gamble as a replacement.

Another point of contention is with the old site my bookmark would take me to the page listing various categories of woodworking tools. From there it was usually not too difficult to navigate to the page of interest.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Jim, the direct link for tools is slightly different as well as the categories, but you can still jump directly to tools with https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/tools
    --