Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: New Lee Valley Web Site

Ditto, I have had orders in for a long time, all backordered, and then pushed back again. I have stuff in my cart, to purchase later also that stays backordered. I never remember this being an issue like this before at LV.

I bought a few items during the free shipping event. All went smoothly and the order was delivered quickly. I am not a fan of change just for change sake and suspect this might be one. But I do find the online Lee Valley catalog still works fine. Hmmmm, this site prefers the word catalog to catalogue. I'm gunna tell my old grade two teacher about this, you'll be sorry at Sawmill Creek cause she will haunt you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Henderson View Post
    Hmmmm, this site prefers the word catalog to catalogue. I'm gunna tell my old grade two teacher about this, you'll be sorry at Sawmill Creek cause she will haunt you.
    Location...location...location...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hi Mr Becker...I'm an old fart...don't use paypal so cant send in a donation. Is there a workaround other than mail a cheque. (Notice cheque instead of check)

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Henderson View Post
    Hi Mr Becker...I'm an old fart...don't use paypal so cant send in a donation. Is there a workaround other than mail a cheque. (Notice cheque instead of check)
    If you click on the Donate link above and scroll down, there are instructions for contributing by check...if that can't work for you, then click on the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the page and ask for other ideas. Also, you don't need to have an PayPal account to use a credit card. PayPal is just the clearance house for the transaction.

Jim
    Forum Moderator

Rob, since you seem to be monitoring this thread for feedback, may I add some...

I loved your old website categorization (taxonomy?) because it was very parametric - if I wanted to find a protractor, it was intuitive to go "Tools", "Measuring", etc...

I also liked that it seemed "limited", i.e. if I went searching for a protractor, you had a single page that listed all the angle measuring tools, and part of the reason I like spending money with you is that I trusted that your collection of "angle measuring tools" was well-curated to contain the kinds of things I'd need. So if I found that one page of angle measuring tools, I felt it contained everything I'd need to consider (and it did!).

Today I try to find a protractor on your website, and I can't even find a category that seems to apply. "Featured"? "Trending?" "Top categories?" "Explore tools?" I want none of those. I want "Measuring". I see a heading for "Measuring", but it's not clickable.

So I click "Tools"?

"Explore Tools"?

"Shop all"?

I now see a Festool vac and a plug cutter...so I guess this is literally "all" tools? (Out of curiosity, why would anyone want a page of ALL the tools you sell? Certainly that's not navigable...)

I guess a protractor is a "Hand tool", so I select that?

Oh, "Marking and Measuring"! (it's not alphabetical, which is stupid. If someone is searching for something, wouldn't they want it alphabetical? Since they don't know in advance how "popular" each category is, how is sorting by number of items useful to the user?)

I give up.

Best of luck working out the kinks. I understand why it had to be done. But this is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    Rob, since you seem to be monitoring this thread for feedback, may I add some...

I loved your old website categorization (taxonomy?) because it was very parametric - if I wanted to find a protractor, it was intuitive to go "Tools", "Measuring", etc...

I also liked that it seemed "limited", i.e. if I went searching for a protractor, you had a single page that listed all the angle measuring tools, and part of the reason I like spending money with you is that I trusted that your collection of "angle measuring tools" was well-curated to contain the kinds of things I'd need. So if I found that one page of angle measuring tools, I felt it contained everything I'd need to consider (and it did!).

Today I try to find a protractor on your website, and I can't even find a category that seems to apply. "Featured"? "Trending?" "Top categories?" "Explore tools?" I want none of those. I want "Measuring". I see a heading for "Measuring", but it's not clickable.

So I click "Tools"?

"Explore Tools"?

"Shop all"?

I now see a Festool vac and a plug cutter...so I guess this is literally "all" tools? (Out of curiosity, why would anyone want a page of ALL the tools you sell? Certainly that's not navigable...)

I guess a protractor is a "Hand tool", so I select that?

Oh, "Marking and Measuring"! (it's not alphabetical, which is stupid. If someone is searching for something, wouldn't they want it alphabetical? Since they don't know in advance how "popular" each category is, how is sorting by number of items useful to the user?)

I give up.

Best of luck working out the kinks. I understand why it had to be done. But this is bad.
    Am I missing something? I just went to Tools, found Marking and Measuring right after Leatherwork, and before Planes. Just where I would expect it. Has something been updated since this was posted yesterday?

Blog Entries
    Testing Dan's search, I went a couple of ways.

First, I entered 'protractor' in the search box. The result was a bunch of actual protractors at the top & lower down the page, other angle measuring tools

Next I clicked on 'Tools' then 'Marking and Measuring' then in the left hand column 'protractors'

The whole process took seconds & the experience was essentially the same on the desktop and mobile versions. I don't get it. Is there a different Lee Valley website that I'm not seeing? I was a heavy user of the old site & I've used the new one a bunch of times & I just don't experience most of the issues being complained about. When someone posts about an issue, I like to try to replicate it myself, but I'm just not seeing these problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Mitchell View Post
    Am I missing something? I just went to Tools, found Marking and Measuring right after Leatherwork, and before Planes. Just where I would expect it. Has something been updated since this was posted yesterday?
    D'oh. Maybe I was being dense. I guess I saw "Top Categories" under "Tools" and assumed it was a subset of "All" categories, so my willingness to spend time looking through the list was low. I see it now.

I guess my constructive feedback would be that categories like "Trending" and filters like "Activity: Measuring" don't seem nearly as parametric or useful as the old website was. It makes it seem like a website template for a different type of store was mashed into your catalog. FWIW.

I used the new site today. I found what I needed quickly and placed an order. Everything went fine.

I agree with Mr. Pratt: "The whole process took seconds ...... I don't get it. Is there a different Lee Valley website that I'm not seeing? I was a heavy user of the old site & I've used the new one a bunch of times & I just don't experience most of the issues being complained about."

YMMV.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”