Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Lee Valley Web Site

New Lee Valley Web Site

Seems the roll out of the new site is not going completely smoothly. Have been trying to place an order all morning and the site just spins when I try to checkout. Tried a few different browsers too. Guess I may have to call

New site design seems nice and clean though but it will take some getting used to.

Wonder if they are getting a lot of traffic from people just curious about the new site and that's slowing things down? Maybe it will take a few days for the traffic to return to normal levels. Gotta go now and check out the new site. Ooops, looks like their site crashed, I couldn't get in.

It is up now. Haven't tried to buy anything though

Are you sure? Tried to get in again and couldn't.

I can see the site and navigate ok, just can't check out. Lisa, tell me please...how do you go there and not buy anything?

Hi Paul -

Sorry for your troubles - please do give us a shout for help, or send me your contact info at rlee@leevalley.com so out CIO can call you directly.

We flipped the switch about 5:30 this morning, and have not seen too many issues. You may want to try clearing cookies, or getting to the site from a search engine (to ensure you have a clean link) .

While we do our best to test - there are just so many combinations of browsers, operating systems, and devices out there that it's inevitable something could slip by.

We have a large team watching .... and are addressing anything we find (and with the scope of content - we will find a lot!).

I should point out too that our previous site had been worked on and tuned for 19 years (almost to the day - Oct 1 2000) - and today is day 1 for new site! It will still take a bit of time to refine navigation, and search. As we gain experience - we will also be able to turn more advanced features, and use more complex templates.

Cheer - and thanks for you patience!

Rob

I don't like it.

It's different.

Seriously though, it was better when you could see pricing and availability of all the sizes of chisels at a glance.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    Seriously though, it was better when you could see pricing and availability of all the sizes of chisels at a glance.
    Hi Dave -

As the new software is completely database driven, we have gone live with very basic templates and structures - makes it straightforward to correct any functional errors that may be lurking. Pouring 20,000 products chopped up into a ton of discrete pieces into a slew of templates can make for some "interesting" combinations.

As we learn, tweak, and fix - it will all come together.

It's newborn..... with tons of capacity - but lots of learning to do....!

Cheers -

Rob
    (who can still send you catalog... if you want to go "old school".....)

Completely understand.

11. Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post

As we learn, tweak, and fix - it will all come together.

It's newborn..... with tons of capacity - but lots of learning to do....!

Cheers -

Rob
    (who can still send you catalog... if you want to go "old school".....)

I see there are some products missing (shooting board) and my wish list seems to be an older version than what it was yesterday with different items. It also lost some functionality with sharing. Hopefully it all makes a recovery

I was able to place an order, no problem. The only issue I had in checkout was that it took about 25 seconds each for the month and year boxes to become ready to accept entries. I may have missed something to start with, but the prices I saw on the item page was evidently in Canadian, because only during checkout did the dollar amounts go down to US dollars, which was a nice surprise, going this way.

I'm not sure what the advantages are to the new layout, but I prefer to go right to what I'm looking for, without having to look over multiple pages of items in the same category. It did work out to the seller's, and my advantage though, since I bought more stuff than just what I was looking for, so overall, I'm not complaining. I was glad to find the items that I wasn't looking for, that will help me with a job at hand.

So none of you here will be surprised that Rob had his tech chief contact me and we resolved the issue. I had my browser locked down pretty tight and evidently it was blocking a cookie needed by the shopping cart. I resolved it by whitelisting leevalley.com and all is well. Now if you all will excuse me, I think I'd better do some more "testing" of the new site's ordering process....

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I was able to place an order, no problem. The only issue I had in checkout was that it took about 25 seconds each for the month and year boxes to become ready to accept entries. I may have missed something to start with, but the prices I saw on the item page was evidently in Canadian, because only during checkout did the dollar amounts go down to US dollars, which was a nice surprise, going this way.

I'm not sure what the advantages are to the new layout, but I prefer to go right to what I'm looking for, without having to look over multiple pages of items in the same category. It did work out to the seller's, and my advantage though, since I bought more stuff than just what I was looking for, so overall, I'm not complaining. I was glad to find the items that I wasn't looking for, that will help me with a job at hand.
    Hi Tom -

Main advantages are mobile compatibility (mandatory!), AODA compliance (mandatory), and a robust set of tools to keep it all going. There will be a learning curve though, and we started along it today....

Cheers -

Rob

Blog Entries
    Well shoot, I went to the new site today hoping it would fix my drawer screw up. I allowed 1/2" total for the slides, not per side. Oh well...