Thread: Restoring an older Delta 20" bandsaw

Restoring an older Delta 20" bandsaw

Here's a few pics of the bandsaw I picked up for a couple hundred dollars....
    A challenge for sure; but the motor is good and the bearings are good. Tires are in good shape too. Upper AND lower blade guides are broken, plus the trunnion is broken. I've been trying to come up with a way to repair the trunnion. I used gorilla glue steel repair epoxy to glue the broken brackets for the blade guides back together and have to say, it may have worked! If not, I'll have to get some aftermarket guides. Here is a few "before" pics. I'll post more as I get this thing going. It was dropped on it's side and landed on it's table causing all these broken parts. The table is OK but the rod that holds the fence is bent. After gluding the brackets back together, I could not break the joint loose, I may run pins thru the joints also but I don't think they have that much stress on them to begin with.

IMG_4592.jpgIMG_4594.jpgIMG_4596.jpgIMG_4597.jpgIMG_4608.jpgIMG_4648.jpgIMG_4649.jpgIMG_4650.jpg
    Where did I put those band aids?

Where do you live. I see one for sale in Santa Maria, ca for $150. Complete and running.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Where do you live. I see one for sale in Santa Maria, ca for $150. Complete and running.
    Bill D

I Live up in Hoodsport Wa. I have heard that there is a grizzly model with the same trunnion. I'm going to call them to find out.

Dueane ,Is the spine of that saw triangular in cross section ? The reason I am asking is it looks suspiciously Meber to me. Never mind just looked at the picture closer and it was made in Taiwan. Very close to a Meber design though,maybe a Meber trunnion would fit ?

I would check out Grizzly for one of the cast iron trunnions for the 513/514 series. It should be easy enough to fab/weld a new plate on the saw if it will not bolt right on. Same on the table side a piece of 1/2'' thick steel used as an adapter drilled to fit new trunnion and existing table holes. Drilling holes counter bored so a bolt head is flush(say trunnion bolts) and another set of holes to match existing table holes. I think the trunnion is your biggest challenge. All of this assumes the bolt holes do not line up,if they do you are gold. I would not spend much effort on the guides. If you can get aftermarket replacements do that. Guides need to be reliable and accurate,something glued together pot metal may not be able to achieve.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    Dueane ,Is the spine of that saw triangular in cross section ? The reason I am asking is it looks suspiciously Meber to me. Never mind just looked at the picture closer and it was made in Taiwan. Very close to a Meber design though,maybe a Meber trunnion would fit ?

I'm going to check....thanks

So where did this end up Dueane ?

I'm waiting on a company called leaneve to contact me.They have someone looking for a trunnion.

Quote Originally Posted by Dueane Hicks View Post
    Here's a few pics of the bandsaw I picked up for a couple hundred dollars....
    A challenge for sure; but the motor is good and the bearings are good. Tires are in good shape too. Upper AND lower blade guides are broken, plus the trunnion is broken. I've been trying to come up with a way to repair the trunnion. I used gorilla glue steel repair epoxy to glue the broken brackets for the blade guides back together and have to say, it may have worked! If not, I'll have to get some aftermarket guides. Here is a few "before" pics. I'll post more as I get this thing going. It was dropped on it's side and landed on it's table causing all these broken parts. The table is OK but the rod that holds the fence is bent. After gluding the brackets back together, I could not break the joint loose, I may run pins thru the joints also but I don't think they have that much stress on them to begin with.

IMG_4592.jpgIMG_4594.jpgIMG_4596.jpgIMG_4597.jpgIMG_4608.jpgIMG_4648.jpgIMG_4649.jpgIMG_4650.jpg

Comming along...
    IMG_4707.jpg
    IMG_4687.jpg
    IMG_4685.jpg
    Last edited by Dueane Hicks; 10-13-2019 at 10:18 PM. Reason: added photos

They found one in Taiwan. They want $420.00. I think I'll pass. Making one from laminated plywood with steel straps.