Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you bring back from vacation?

What do you bring back from vacation?

I brought back about 40# of beautiful koa and mango lumber from Hawaii in a large checked bag. A couple pieces of the koa were purchased, but the larger portion of koa and the mango were a wonderful gift. It was worth taking an extra bag along and having an extra checked bag on the way home. I carried one bag inside another on the way to Hawaii so i had one checked bag on the way there and two on the way back.

Mango
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Pete Staehling; 10-03-2019 at 11:15 AM.

I was in Seattle last week and brought home (shipped actually) about 60# of highly figured woods from a friend. Walnut, crotch walnut, curly maple, many pcs of burl, mango, koa, macadamia nut, and some others...I shipped back two USPS flat rate boxes with smalls (pen turning blanks, box pcs, etc) and FedEx'd a large bag that had pcs up to 24" long in it. FedEx was cheaper than a check bag for me from WA to AL.

Just returned from Germany, and brought back some door hardware, because I have some doors to build for the house and can't get it easily here.

After my trip to Hawaii in September I brought back some instrument-grade bees-wing Koa.
    I was also allowed to examine the furniture made by students at the missionary school in Hilo about a century ago.
    I also got to photograph the exterior and interior of the Kona Theatre and the Aloha Theatre. Their styles fascinate me.

It was a good trip!
    AKA - "The human termite"

I brought back 5 bottles of single malt from my trip to Scotland! Made me a very happy camper!!!
    Oh..... you meant related to Woodworking? Ah, well I did manage to find a nice little antique plane to add to my tiny collection. It’s much older and will last a LOT longer than the Scotch too!

JeffD

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Smira View Post
    I was in Seattle last week and brought home (shipped actually) about 60# of highly figured woods from a friend. Walnut, crotch walnut, curly maple, many pcs of burl, mango, koa, macadamia nut, and some others...I shipped back two USPS flat rate boxes with smalls (pen turning blanks, box pcs, etc) and FedEx'd a large bag that had pcs up to 24" long in it. FedEx was cheaper than a check bag for me from WA to AL.
    I was lucky enough to have free checked bags on this trip. For pieces up to almost 24" a USPS flat rate box often works well.
    Large Board Game Box 23 11/16" x 11 3/4" x 3" LargeFlatRateBoardGameBox $17.60

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Duncan View Post
    I brought back 5 bottles of single malt from my trip to Scotland!
    ^^^^ Booze, mostly.

We actually did pick up a bunch of local turnings and small sculptures when we honeymooned in Costa Rica. From what I could see, all from salvaged lumber. Rosewood and some others I still am not really sure of the species. One place had a huge lathe powered off an air-cooled VW engine.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    One place had a huge lathe powered off an air-cooled VW engine.
    I'd love to see that. Any chance that you have a link to some pictures?

Some years ago, when I was a factory rep for a printing press company, I would frequently bring home wood that I couldn't find here. My territory was all 50 plus the Caribbean, so I brought back quite a bit. I would buy the boxes from the post office, and then go to the lumber source and pick out pieces that would fit in it. Then take the full box back to the post office for shipping. I sometimes also brought some wood back in my suitcase or a folding bag that I always kept in the suitcase.

In Honolulu, just off Mokuwea Street near the ocean is a lumber yard and woodworking shop. Most of what they make is from Koa and they have a store that sells shorts and drops of all sizes. I've had great dealings with them. Roland's Koa Factory on Mokuwea makes most of what you can find made from Koa in the tourist gift shops. I didn't purchase anything from them, but they were friendly and let me see inside their shop. It's been some years since I was in Hawaii, so all of this may have changed, but it's worth looking for if you are interested.

Puerto Rico is another interesting place to find wood. I bought from several places there, but can't remember the company names. All but one was within easy driving distance of San Juan. The other was several towns West along the North shore.

Charley
    Last edited by Charles Lent; 10-04-2019 at 12:25 PM.

I usually just bring home regret that I have to back to work, and an empty wallet.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Staehling View Post
    I'd love to see that. Any chance that you have a link to some pictures?
    Unfortunately, I couldn't find any.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Unfortunately, I couldn't find any.

Erik
    Too bad. Thanks for looking.

I bring back memories and pictures.

I do a blog of our travels and share it with a fair number of people. People have told me that it has helped them decide whether to take a trip to the same area or not. I keep improving my photography - or at least, trying to

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    Usually photos, occasionally wood and always peace of mind.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I am happy to see that others have done the same and brought back interesting stuff. I have not always been successful in finding interesting wood to bring home like I was on this trip, but I usually try.

On driving trips in the US I tend to look for sawmills with limited success. Flying to places I am less likely to see again for a longer time I try harder. Local lumber that isn't available at home is always a treat, even in small checked bag size quantities.