Thread: Fabrication Assistance Needed

Fabrication Assistance Needed

I am fabricating an item to help support a human chin on something like a microphone stand. I have parts that I want to purchase or slightly change. The main part I need is in the first three pictures. It's a plastic component threaded on one half and has a 1/2" smooth section on the other half. The last picture is the chin cup that slides into the smooth part.

I don't know what to call the part in the first three photos so I cannot locate where to purchase it. It reminds me of a smooth bore bushings. I could also fabricate this out of pipe with a guaranteed inside diameter of 1/2"......it would need to be weldable pipe though.

IMG_3631.JPGIMG_3632.JPGIMG_3633.JPGIMG_3634.JPG

It looks to me like you are dealing with custom parts for which there is no manufactured source. If that is true, could you possibly have them made by someone with a 3-D printer?

Rich, if you can determine the thread size on a microphone stand, try buying a partially threaded female standoff with the right thread and drilling the threads out of one end to fit the shaft of the chin cup.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quick search on amazon shows 5/8-27 is a common mic stand thread. Maybe a machinist could cut an adapter or you could probably make a delrin bushing if you find a piece of tube with that thread inside. I’m curious what this device is actually used for.

Yes, you could make it easily with a 3D printer. I redesigned and printed parts for the start switch on my Unisaw. I even made a dust port for the saw as well. You need to start with a diagram with dimensions.

Rich, go to Amazon and do a search using "microphone stand adapters" for the search words. I'm sure some of the things there could be adapted with spacers or standoffs.

BTW, a machinist at a machine shop could manufacture one of these quickly, easily and probably at a reasonable price.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 10-03-2019 at 1:04 AM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Thank you for all the assistance.