Thread: pipe makers

pipe makers

If there are any pipe makers out there i would enjoy reading how you make y our pipes and see some finished products

Allen, There is a great one in the Kansas city wood turners by the name of Anthony Harris. I think he goes by acme pipe. Anthony is pretty well known at pipe conventions and pipe forms. He does a lot of off the wall stuff but is an incredible turner.
    He has at least one youtube video on making a burl pipe.

You might want to clarify what's going in the pipe. The Anthony Harris reference is for tobacco pipes. A style that's really in the minority for pipe use in today's culture!

I have made a few Rauchermannerchen, a little figure of a person that is a hollow incense burner. With the German traditional ones the smoke just exits a hole where the mouth would be, but I made pipes and the incense smoke exits out the bowl of the pipe. The first one I made two years ago, just as a trial run. Since then I have gotten much better and smaller. Here is a five or ten second video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODnnIEXPaoc The current ones are about a third that tall and finished infinitely better. I made 10 of them for 2018 and sold them all the first day after Thanksgiving. They do not have to be all that fancy, because nothing actually burns in them, they just serve as a chimney. I made the pipes up last week for this years batch and got about half of the blanks hollowed out. I am getting better finish with my painting also. Last year they were just natural wood that had WOP. I intend to paint most of them this year.
    Last edited by Perry Hilbert Jr; 10-04-2019 at 6:12 PM.

This is one of the 2018 Smoking Snowmen

Rauchermann 1.jpg