Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newton E30 edge sander

Newton E30 edge sander

Anyone have any experience or knowledge of this sander? Looks like its a late 40’s early 50’s machine. Worth $750-1k?

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=2944

CBB2504F-D374-41B6-8AD3-F0C796EF30AE.jpg
    Last edited by Mark e Kessler; 10-02-2019 at 10:16 AM.

That is my quest edge sander for my small shop, been hunting for one for a while.

Whether it’s worth it to you is up to you. But $750 would probably be my upper limit unless it’s been well cared for and maintained and ready to run.

Blog Entries
    Maybe a great sander is it runs correctly. Now if it breaks down can it be repaired or does it become the next parts machine for the next one that breaks down... if your a cabinet maker it's used a lot and can't break down..

Good points Jack. I want one for its size, and because I like vintage machinery. If I needed it to put bread on the table I’d pick something else.

Until your post, I was unfamiliar with this sander. In looking at the sales brochure PDF, it has great features. About the only negatives appear to be" 1) the relatively short platen length & 2) listed only as a 3 phase. But, it you do not need the length it does not matter. I like the table features, dual motors, ability to rotate, & the ability to also use as a spindle sander with various size spindles. Depending upon the area, I can understand how a complete oscillating model in single phase (if there is such a version or conversion) version in very good condition with the interchangeable spindles could sell in that price range. I suspect that price range might be high for a 3 phase &/or a non-oscillating one in lesser condition.

They are great little Sanders. Mostly made from off the shelf parts, super simple machines. They fetch about 1800 for a plug and play machine on the used retail end.

Could it run on a vfd? Me no have 3P... I think I might offer $750 its about 2 hrs from me. Looks like it is built like a beast for the size, i like that it has an 8” belt and its compact size.

mark

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    They are great little Sanders. Mostly made from off the shelf parts, super simple machines. They fetch about 1800 for a plug and play machine on the used retail end.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark e Kessler View Post
    Could it run on a vfd? Me no have 3P... I think I might offer $750 its about 2 hrs from me. Looks like it is built like a beast for the size, i like that it has an 8” belt and its compact size.

mark
    Yes you can. A fuji vfd is about 225 bucks to run it.

Cool newton fact, there are 4 holes inside base that with the right caster, it will sit a 1/2" off the ground and move easy.

I have an Ekstrom-Carlson with the same belt size, not oscillating, but otherwise of similar quality (that is, high). I use it on every single job. I paid more for mine and would buy it again in a minute. There is a saying that an edge sander is one of the last machines you will buy, but also one of the last you will sell.

Get it before someone else does.

Terry T.

mark
    I did not realize that a VFD could simultaneously run 2 motors of different ratings (per the Newton brochure 3 hp for the sander & 1/3 hp for the oscillating mech.). Can all VFDs do that, or does it take a unique type?

I really don’t know that answer but a 3 ph converter converts 1ph to 3 ph for a machine to use It however it was designed (single or multiple motors).
    A VFD does the same thing, no?

You could run both with one Vfd, but if you want to control the speed individually you would need 2 Vfd's. would be nice to control the speed of the belt but doing that with one Vfd would also slow the oscillation.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Charles View Post
    I did not realize that a VFD could simultaneously run 2 motors of different ratings (per the Newton brochure 3 hp for the sander & 1/3 hp for the oscillating mech.). Can all VFDs do that, or does it take a unique type?

On a separate note, when I first started looking for an edge sander, I discovered the Newton. I liked everything about it especially the oscillating head which I think is superior to belt oscillating machines. I couldn’t find a Newton at the time but the features stuck with me in what I wanted in a sander. I ended up buying a Kundig Uniq which really is very similar to the Newton except the price of course.
    If I were in the market for an edge sander I would be all over the sander in the ad. I would go through it, paint it, and use it daily. Edge sanders are “fabricators” not just for edges.

Dude says it runs smooth with no bearing noise, he bought it in the early 80’s from a used equipment sellers. Used in a one man shop and hasn’t been using it for the past few years.

Hopefully, these follow-up question is not too far off track:
    1. When sizing for multiple motors, is is sufficient to size for the larger? Or does one size for the combined? (Understood that in this application, the 1/3 hp oscillation motor effect is probably negligible).
    2. When using a single VFD for 2 motors, can they be independently switched? Or must start/stop simultaneously?
    3. Any cautions on ramp up/ramp down speeds when programming?

Thanks. I have learned something today.

You could run both with one Vfd, but if you want to control the speed individually you would need 2 Vfd's. would be nice to control the speed of the belt but doing that with one Vfd would also slow the oscillation.