Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for woodworking guys

Question for woodworking guys

I'm getting ready to start a couple projects as soon as my hardware arrives. I have a new baby girl coming soon and I want to build her a cradle and a crib. My question is, I have no experience with mortise and tenon joints. Based on my research, most people make those joints with a router or a table saw. I have both. I was looking into mortise and tenon jigs for my router but they are very pricey. What is the best way to make nice tight mortise and tenon joints without buying a $300 jig?

Chisels will work

As it happens I'm making a crib for a new addition myself. And it has a ton of mortise and tenon joints.

The simplest way to do mortises with a router is just to use an edge guide. If you don't have a store-bought edge guide for your router, you can attach a plywood base to the router and screw/clamp fences to the base. It can be difficult to balance the router on the edge of a board, so you can clamp milled sticks to the sides to make the bearing surface wider. I built a fairly simple jig that works well for cutting mortises in larger parts, especially cutting series of identical mortises like you have to do with a crib. Unfortunately I have no pictures with me, maybe I can get one tonight while I'm cutting slat mortises.

I would make the tenons with the tablesaw. There are two main approaches. One is to have the workpiece horizontal, on a sled or miter gauge, and take a lot of passes to nibble away at the material. A dado stack makes this faster. The other approach is to cut the shoulder lines in the horizontal position, then cut the cheeks with the workpiece vertical. You need to buy or make a jig to hold the workpiece in the vertical position.

Another way to cut the mortises on the side pieces top and bottom, is cut a dado to fit the thickness of the slats and then use spacers between the slats. Effectively giving you a mortise.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne Phill View Post
    I'm getting ready to start a couple projects as soon as my hardware arrives. I have a new baby girl coming soon and I want to build her a cradle and a crib. My question is, I have no experience with mortise and tenon joints. Based on my research, most people make those joints with a router or a table saw. I have both. I was looking into mortise and tenon jigs for my router but they are very pricey. What is the best way to make nice tight mortise and tenon joints without buying a $300 jig?
    Since this is a power tool forum, I will show you a power tool method for each (if you prefer, I can show you hand tools).

Mortices are made with a router and fixture ...

Tenons are sawn on the bandsaw and table saw. Use the table saw to define the shoulders ...

The bandsaw will cut one cheek ..

.. and then use a spacer to set up the cut for the other cheek ..

Saw the beauty ends with either the bandsaw or table saw ...

Either round the ends of the tenons or, as I prefer, square the ends of the mortices with a chisel ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

The M-Power CRB7 is a nice combination adaptor for your router.

Another method might be to use dowels, I've had good success with the Milescraft 1311

I second the approach Derek outlines.

If you do not have a bandsaw, I would then purchase (or make) a 'tenoning jig' for the tablesaw. Sometimes you can find them on CL, about $75 used. This allows you to cut the tenon cheeks using the tablesaw.

Router the mortises then square up the corners with a chisel (if needed). Then cut the tenons on the tablesaw using a fixture (either make yourself or buy one, they are not hard to make).

An alternative would be 'loose tenons' where you cut two mortises using the router and then place a separate piece as a 'loose tenon'. This would allow you to do all the joints with a simple router guide (low cost, and you have the tools in hand).

This is a fundamental joint which you will develop your own preferred method for doing, and will likely evolve with your skills and equipment over time. Have fun!!

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Since this is a power tool forum, I will show you a power tool method for each (if you prefer, I can show you hand tools).

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Hi,

I like the channel in your fixture that captures the stock attached to your router edge guide. It keeps the router from tipping during what is otherwise a very tippy operation.

Using a drill press, simply drill a series of holes then square the ends, and you have a mortise. For tenons, use your table saw. I would just use a miter gauge and not bother with a tenoning jig, but if you choose to purchase one, they are readily available used for under $100 on craiglist. Here is an example. https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/...971551101.html

Tenoning jigs can be made and that is typical. Books on routers and jigs by noted authors Bill Hylton or Patrick Speilman or Pat Warner can be found on eBay. There are many excellent designs of router jigs for tenons. I use a mortising machine and often make one-off mortise jigs using 1/4" mdf and some scrap.

As for expensive (Leigh) jigs, I found them to be so complicated that I have to read a long manual, watch a video, and set up the jig for about a day before making practice pieces. Given that learning curve, I found them useless for me.
    Last edited by Thomas McCurnin; 10-02-2019 at 3:46 PM.

I'm making a bed right now with 12 spindles. I'm using a drill press for the mortises and table saw with a dado stack for the tenons. Also, I round over the tenons, just easier for me.

If you have never done this before, just get some scrap and practice before you cut your real pieces. Also, I like to leave my tenons a little big off the saw and dial in a perfect fit with sand paper or hand tools.

Buy a Festool Domino. You know you want it. :^)

If you decide that you really hate easy things, you can always sell it afterwards for nearly what you paid.
    Last edited by Doug Dawson; 10-02-2019 at 11:53 AM.

Typical cradles doesn't present any strong stress points so I would go either to dowels or biscuits. Both solutions are cheap and easy to use.

Many moons ago I went to dowels to a similar challenge. It worked great!

Dwayne, if you tell us where you live, perhaps a fellow creeker lives nearby and would let you borrow a jig or help you through this first project.

A drill press and chisels for the mortises. A table saw for the tenons. If one was careful, I believe one could use a hand held drill and chisels for the mortises.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....