Thread: Delta DC 380 15'' planer -decisions

Delta DC 380 15'' planer -decisions

I have used this machine for about 10-12 years. It works well. Lately I have been doing a bunch of work with yellow birch (Western). This wood can have real squirrely grain,sometimes switching completely in the same piece. I am getting a lot of tearout because of the grain. My knives are freshly sharpened ( I have 4 sets). It is a pain changing knives on this machine because of the motor on top. So I am trying to decide if I should install a Byrd head or some other or just get a different planer. 15'' is working for me,my jointer is 16'' . I have thought of going to a 20'' planer if I switch to another machine,honestly not sure I need it. I am building cabinets and furniture in my shop as a business. What say you guys ? Would a 20'' planer like the Grizzly 1033z with 5h.p. motor be a machine that would work well for me ? Used is definitely something that I will look for. I have a rotary phase converter so three phase is fine as long as it is 230v. Any standout used machines that are targets would be appreciated as well. Mike.

I think an insert head is your best bet short of upgrading the planer substantially. Hobby level machines either have poorly designed chipbreakers and pressure bars, or lack them all together. A straight knife head with a grinder or a Tersa will deliver great results but really benefit from a large diameter head, onboard grinder if not Tersa, and a heavy build with good hold downs. Buying another similar level but larger machine gains you nothing in cut quality. A new higher end machine is close to 10K and used go for 4-6K so the head swap is pretty cheap. An insert head is a benefit to the lower end machines, not so much for higher end. Dave

Dave thanks for the reply. I know this planer is my weak link machinery wise and have been trying to make the decision if upgrading to a segmented head will help me short term. Do you have any experience with Cantek machines ? I have looked at their 20'' planer,it has segmented infeed rollers and a real pressure bar as well as insert head. The used market for anything industrial is mostly older Euro stuff like SCM,Ema,here. Very few Powermatic 180 or Delta RC 51 type planers. I have no problem buying used ,in fact I would prefer it.

I also have a 380 and have resisted moving up to a 20" because I rarely need greater than 15". I agree, changing knives is not fun but I don't do it often enough to be reminded about the nuisance of changing them. If it bothers you, maybe a helical would be a good next step. But if I did upgrade, it would be to one like this:

https://denver.craigslist.org/tls/d/...959313578.html

Ema or any of the eastern block planers rebadged but made at the same factory are great. SAC planers come up periodically and because they are gone are usually reasonable and a better build than SCM. Cantek are similar to Extrema, good decent Taiwan machines. In the used world I'd look at Tersa unless an older Martin came available. Darcy always finds good stuff. Dave

thanks Dave.