Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly 0513 Bandsaw "Trim Level"

Grizzly 0513 Bandsaw "Trim Level"

I'm planning on getting a 17" Grizzly 0513 bandsaw. Looking at the different 0513 "Trim Levels" and trying to decide which to get.

-Basic with Cast Iron Trunnion = G0513X2 = $1,195
    -Basic with Cast Iron Trunnion & Foot brake = G0513X2F = $1,399
    -Basic with Cast Iron Trunnion, Foot brake, & Dynamic Motor Braking = G0513X2BF = $1,499

Are the foot brake and dynamic braking worth the $200/$300?
    Are there more additional features I missed?

I mainly do a lot of 10-12" hardwood resawing and curved cutouts of 5/4 hardwood.

All experience and guidance comments are appreciated.

Thx
    Last edited by Ed Farina; 10-01-2019 at 9:57 PM.

Blog Entries
    I’ve never missed not having a brake but, I have the feeling that like electric outside mirrors on your car; once you have them you wonder how you ever lived without them.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have the 514X with the mechanical foot brake. I almost went without it but I actually wish I had gone with the electronic brake now. The 513X may not have as much inertia when you turn it off but I would guess it's still got plenty. You would be surprised just how long it takes for it to stop moving after you shut it off. The nice thing about the foot brake is that stepping on it acts the same as turning the saw off (disengages the contactor) so you can shut it off and stop it from moving in one action.

I have the 513X2. When I first got it I wished I had upgraded to the X2F. Now that I’ve had it awhile I don’t even think about having the break.
    Some Blue Tools
    Some Yellow Tools
    A Grizzly Collection
    ShapeokoXL
    Blue and White 50 Watt

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Hussey View Post
    I have the 513X2. When I first got it I wished I had upgraded to the X2F. Now that I’ve had it awhile I don’t even think about having the break.
    Same here, but, I would say I'm an occasional user and not super inconvenient to wait for the blade to stop. If you frequently use a BS I would highly recommend the full brake system.

BTW - I've had mine for around ten years now and it's an excellent choice!

513X2BF here. I bought this version when I was beginning a project that required resawing long lengths of 8/4 ash and was glad to have the foot brake option for times when my hands were otherwise occupied maneuvering long boards through the blade. Like any safety feature, all of the add ons aren't an absolute necessity. But once you've gotten used to using them, they seem indespensible.

I personally like to have a foot brake on bandsaws.

I have a MM-16 and I use the foot brake regularly when using the bandsaw.

There is no right or wrong. It's merely a matter of personal opinion. It's subjective.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

If I was purchasing a band saw, I would want a brake/

The X2BF has a different rail/fence than the other 2, it is more convenient to adjust for blade drift if re-sawing.

E9179030-88A3-4374-B2D1-2E98373B59F2.jpgE9179030-88A3-4374-B2D1-2E98373B59F2.jpgI saw an ad in the new popular woodworking that all three variations go on sale 10/28
    Last edited by Clark Hussey; 10-03-2019 at 8:23 PM.
    Some Blue Tools
    Some Yellow Tools
    A Grizzly Collection
    ShapeokoXL
    Blue and White 50 Watt

Hi Clark,
    I couldn't see the pics you sent . . . not sure if I have to have special permissions. I assume they were pictures of the ad. Was there any hint of how much they're giving off or if it's free shipping? Is it only for Fine Woodworking subscribers (which I'm not)?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Farina View Post
    Hi Clark,
    I couldn't see the pics you sent . . . not sure if I have to have special permissions. I assume they were pictures of the ad. Was there any hint of how much they're giving off or if it's free shipping? Is it only for Fine Woodworking subscribers (which I'm not)?

Thanks!
    The X2 is $1,150.00 with cast iron wheels
    The X2F is $1,295.00.
    The X2BF is not listed

You have to be a contributor to view and post pictures. $6.00 per year.
    Some Blue Tools
    Some Yellow Tools
    A Grizzly Collection
    ShapeokoXL
    Blue and White 50 Watt

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Farina View Post
    Hi Clark,

Thanks!
    Ed - since it looks like you may visit this site in the future you should consider becoming a contributor. Think it’s less than $10 a year. Think you saved much more than that already here!

Welcome to the forum.

mike

I created my login and never saw that there was a contributor option. I'll dig in . . . Thanks to all !