Thread: 3M PPG 2.0 Starter Kit

3M PPG 2.0 Starter Kit

Getting ready to purchase the PPG 2.0 system for my Fuji hvlp. I looked up the correct adapter for my gun on the 3M website & found the starter kits on Amazon that contain the cups, lids & one hard cup. Is there anything else that I need?

A gravity feed gun is alright for painting a car where everything is out in the open but for woodworking purposes can get cumbersome. The cup on top makes it difficult to spray inside cabinets or furniture.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Dyas View Post
    A gravity feed gun is alright for painting a car where everything is out in the open but for woodworking purposes can get cumbersome. The cup on top makes it difficult to spray inside cabinets or furniture.
    Thanks, I have been using a gravity gun for a few years and love it. Two of the benefits of the PPG system are that it allows you to easily spray upside down and the ability to use different size cups. Three ounces is the smallest cup and 28 ounces is the largest.

I can't help with anything specific to the Fuji system you have, but I've been using the PPS system now for a bit and...it was the absolute best finishing investment I've ever made. And yes, a big part of it is the position/orientation of the gun is taken completely out of the picture so you can hold it in the best way for getting the fan where it needs to go without compromising flow. Upside down, sideways, who cares anymore?

One small hint...the disposable cups can be reused.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Just want to made sure, all I need is the adapter for my gun and the starter kit with the cups and lids?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I can't help with anything specific to the Fuji system you have, but I've been using the PPS system now for a bit and...it was the absolute best finishing investment I've ever made. And yes, a big part of it is the position/orientation of the gun is taken completely out of the picture so you can hold it in the best way for getting the fan where it needs to go without compromising flow. Upside down, sideways, who cares anymore?

One small hint...the disposable cups can be reused.

Frank, I can't answer your question for sure because your gun is different than mine. What you say "makes sense"...adapter and kit, however. That's how my setup came from Jeff Jewitt...the adapter replaced the normal cup connection and the regulator setup had provisions for the pressure tube to the bottom of the cup to pressurize below the disposable inserts. (works kinda on a similar principle as those Platex baby bottles back in the day but with active pressure rather than ambient pressure)
    --

Thanks Jim. I should have been more clear. I understand what I need on the gun side, was wondering if I was missing anything with the consumables. I have it figured out now. I'm really looking forward to getting the system.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Frank, I can't answer your question for sure because your gun is different than mine. What you say "makes sense"...adapter and kit, however. That's how my setup came from Jeff Jewitt...the adapter replaced the normal cup connection and the regulator setup had provisions for the pressure tube to the bottom of the cup to pressurize below the disposable inserts. (works kinda on a similar principle as those Platex baby bottles back in the day but with active pressure rather than ambient pressure)

Ah, sorry I misunderstood what you are asking. My kit came with a bunch of "disposable" cups and a few of the filtered lids. As I noted previously, I've been perfectly fine with washing out the disposable cups after use so far, rather than just chucking them. But I also pretty much only use water borne products so that's an easy process. I kept my old Wagner HPLV gun for shooting shellac to keep things simple. You're going to enjoy working with the PPS setup. The pressurized setup combined with working the controls on your gun will give you a whole lot of flexibility.
    --