Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Something is wrong.........

Something is wrong.........

I walked around in both Rockler and Woodcraft and didn’t end up buying anything. Not sure if that means I’ve reached a point of tool saturation, or if I’m just fixated on items they didn’t have.............. but regardless, it’s Unprecedented. LOL

sorry, just felt like I needed to boast that I made it through both with my wallet intact.

Not sure if I should offer congratulations or extend my regrets. If you fall off a horse, you are suppose to get right back on...perhaps you need to make another trip and see if you can stimulate the woodworking economy!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    I walked around in both Rockler and Woodcraft and didn’t end up buying anything. Not sure if that means I’ve reached a point of tool saturation, or if I’m just fixated on items they didn’t have.............. but regardless, it’s Unprecedented. LOL

sorry, just felt like I needed to boast that I made it through both with my wallet intact.
    Yikes! You might want to get that checked!

B
    https://shorturl.at/mRTU3

Funny, and I know only you guys will understand what a collosial achievement it is to walk through both without parting ways with any money. LOL

I can order a Head CT to make sure there aren't any other issues.

Just sayin...

I couldn't accomplish that feat.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

You need an intervention!

You’d be Dr. Lightstone, I take it........ You’ve got that awesome, nice big new shop to fill up so I understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    I can order a Head CT to make sure there aren't any other issues.

Just sayin...

I couldn't accomplish that feat.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post

I usually fail to buy anything in those stores due to sticker shock.

That's a sad state of affairs. I went through the same thing many years ago, before I got into wood working.

I used to enjoy going through the tool territory at the big box stores, but then after a couple of visits, I realized there was nothing they had that I felt the need to own.

I had the same experience at Rockler and Woodcraft.

Now I find myself looking at things that are way beyond my means and need, such as Felder Sliding table saws.

The wife wants new kitchen cabinets, so maybe there's hope that a K700S might be possible.

Ha...... I’d like to have a Felder K700S too. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    That's a sad state of affairs. I went through the same thing many years ago, before I got into wood working.

I used to enjoy going through the tool territory at the big box stores, but then after a couple of visits, I realized there was nothing they had that I felt the need to own.

I had the same experience at Rockler and Woodcraft.

Now I find myself looking at things that are way beyond my means and need, such as Felder Sliding table saws.

The wife wants new kitchen cabinets, so maybe there's hope that a K700S might be possible.

I go to tool stores to learn how things are made and examine quality or lack of it. Once I know what quality level I am looking for then I watch for used stuff,and since I have a firm grasp of new prices it makes it far easier to spot the real deals. That said I can not go through Lee Valley without spending some money. I buy based on needs in my shop ,not impulsively.(most of the time).

I imagine, just like Highland Hardware, that Lee Valley would get the best of me if I visited their store LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    I go to tool stores to learn how things are made and examine quality or lack of it. Once I know what quality level I am looking for then I watch for used stuff,and since I have a firm grasp of new prices it makes it far easier to spot the real deals. That said I can not go through Lee Valley without spending some money. I buy based on needs in my shop ,not impulsively.(most of the time).

I generally have the exact same experience if I happen to be in the Allentown PA area and stop in the Woodcraft up there. It's mostly either an "I already have it", "I already have something lightyears beyond that" or or "I can't ever think I'll need that" or "wow...what a bunch of stuff that would just collect dust in my shop". I might buy some odds and ends, and next time I'll likely buy a few quarts of the GF "Milk Paint" acrylics as they spray nicely and there's no local source, but for the most part...I just browse. I do like their knife kits but I have no more room in the drawer. LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim, MLCS carries some of the more popular GF finishes. Closer that Allentown, especially for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Dyas View Post
    I usually fail to buy anything in those stores due to sticker shock.
    I usually fail to buy anything in those stores because most things seem to be made in China.