Thread: Fingerprint door locks, any experience

Fingerprint door locks, any experience

I see they make affordable door locks that use fingerrprint readers to open them. Any experience on how reliable they are. How about with dirty hands in the shop. cuts, paint spots etc.

Bil lD

For a while, Apple made a big deal about using your fingerprint to unlock your phone. It may work okay for younger people, but it fails quite a bit on older people -- for instance me. It turns out that as we get older our fingerprints go away.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    For a while, Apple made a big deal about using your fingerprint to unlock your phone. It may work okay for younger people, but it fails quite a bit on older people -- for instance me. It turns out that as we get older our fingerprints go away.
    I wonder if face recognition might have the same flaw for the aging. For me it might be an improvement!

My Iphone X has facial recognition and it works pretty good, only a few times its failed but then I just put in my code. Biometric devices are great when there is power, but they are worthless when the power is out.

Blog Entries
    The fingerprint reader on my phone works very well... until I try to use it after doing some sanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    The fingerprint reader on my phone works very well... until I try to use it after doing some sanding.
    or you get a sliver in that finger.

Dealing with this now on my phone. Finger won't read because I got CA glue on it will filling some cracks on a project. It eventually wears off. Also had problems in the past with a blister, paint, and a cut. Need to have a backup way to get into a door lock.

Um, if you're worried about a "damaged" finger getting in the way...input more than one finger including at least one from the opposite hand. That's how I handle authenticating with my new Macbook Pro and Professor Dr SWMBO is accessing her new Dell laptop I bought her the same way. I did the same for my previous iPhone that had the finger print reader. (My current one uses facial identification)

For a locket, it's likely that multiple fingers can be loaded and I'd be surprised if there wasn't a key override, too, but I'm not familiar with the locks.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...