Thread: Resin

Resin

Is anyone hollowing resin forms? If so what have you been using to do the hollowing? I am typically scraping with the some scrapers I used to use inside wooden forms but continue to get chipping and am not happy with the end result. I am using a hollowing system which generally holds the tool on center line so I am wondering if I was to regrind a scraper to a NR will it function and would I then need to raise it so the cutting edge would be on center? The Kobra system I'm using does not lend it's self to a change in height. Any suggestions? Oh and I usually try to hollow through as small an opening as possible based on the depth of the form.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Pete, for the inside and esp to avoid need for sanding, I use a cupped carbide tool in a shear scraping mode. I’ve done several pieces with resin and this works well.
    B5FB0E29-0F48-479B-94C8-8A693B6E2B18.jpg
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Tim I tried to get this working on with my Kobra but only managed to get some chipping and rough cuts. It could be the angle that I was using. My problem is with the Kobra if I'm not on center then I can't get to the center of the bottom but I'll give it another try. Thanks for the photo.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *

Can't you just put a shim under the Kobra mount on the lathe bed?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Can't you just put a shim under the Kobra mount on the lathe bed?
    Wow, duhhh. This is way too simple a solution I guess I really couldn't see the forest for the trees. Thanks Richard!!
    Pete