Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Festool track saw failure / repair cost

My 55 is 8 years old, never an issue and it hasn't led an easy life.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    Sounds like Festools are to be used like a butter knife on a steak. As for routers the Porter Cable 7518-19 are pretty much the strongest out there and will out last most other brands
    I hate those routers, especially the 7518 fixed base. I used them in a commercial shop. Upside down in a table the dust settles into the grooves for the height adjustment pins and will lock it up if you don't completely remove the motor on occasion. The metal will also gall between the motor and housing over time. Lastly the speed control will hunt like crazy on heavy end grain cuts. It runs up to speed, then you do a big end grain cut and it slows dramatically before trying to come back up. Then you exit the cut and the motor overspeeds. It's a horse, but ancient technology!

It appears that I am in the minority on this thread, but my experience with Festool has been more positive. I too have a lot invested in various Festool products and I have found the overall reliability to be on par, or better, than other brands that I own. While I do have several Festool products, by a large margin the sanders are the tools I use most often. A few years ago, one of the sanders was giving my a some problems so I called Festool technical support. I described the issue and the technician thought that is sounded like bad brushes. He gave me the option of sending the sander to them or ordering a set of brushes and fixing it my self. I ordered the brushes (can't remember the cost, but I do recall thinking it was reasonable), which fixed the problem.

Blog Entries
    Donn,

While I complain about them, I generally like my Festool's, especially the router and sanders. I had a poor experience with the Kapex and I think the tracksaw is underpowered even though I generally enjoy using it (the tracksaw).
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Donn Ward View Post
    It appears that I am in the minority on this thread, but my experience with Festool has been more positive.
    Mine has also been very positive, including with my track saw. That said, there are documented issues with the track saw where some folks have faced failure like the OP and it can be frustrating when the tool is outside of the three year warranty. But then again...three year warranty. You don't get that with many tools.

While in general, Festool makes great products, there have been a few misses...it can happen with any company.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    But then again...three year warranty. You don't get that with many tools.
    Milwaukee has a 5 year warranty. I wish they would get into more woodworking tools.

Blog Entries
    If it is out of warranty you have had the use of it for 3 years. Not a bad warranty period although it is odd that the tool would die of old age with so few hours of actual use. I spent the money I saved by going with the Makita GCS on a Domino ;-) I will say that I treat the Domino with TLC as it seems pretty delicate for its price point.

I'm not Festool bashing. I love them both. Festool made their bones in the at-the-tool dust collection arena. A category they still tend to win even when their tools, like their routers, fall further back in the pack during bake-offs. Remember the strengths you are buying for. We can't make a tool something it's not.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 10-05-2019 at 5:30 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Donn,

While I complain about them, I generally like my Festool's, especially the router and sanders. I had a poor experience with the Kapex and I think the tracksaw is underpowered even though I generally enjoy using it (the tracksaw).
    Lots of people have had trouble with the Kapex - way more than should give its $1500 piece tag. Festool's first response was to say there was no issue. Then the response was to tell customers they wern't cutting the right material with it. Then nothing for 2-3 more years after which they silently announced a revision with an "upgraded" motor accompanied by some marketing BS about more power and durable motor.

Wait, I thought there wasn't a problem ? ? ? ? ?

I like most of mine too, but I'm not a blind loyalist that thinks they walk on water. Most of their sanders are really good. Their EC models blow the electronics way more than they should though - when's the last time you read of a Mirka having electronic problems ? Yes, the 55 track saw is underpowered comparatively speaking. While they did invent the catagory , the have been eclipsed by others since the patent expired.

I suppose its its tough staying on top when your time is occupied on dreaming up subpar accessories that can generate huge margins through overpricing and M&A activities.

Quote Originally Posted by David Gutierrez View Post
    . i cannot understand how such and expensive tool could need a complete motor replacement with such little use!!
    Probably not related to your problem, but what happens when tools are repeatedly used with long extension cords or on electrical outlets that aren't supplying the full voltage? Does this harm particular types of electric tools?

Things like an incandescent light bulb or a toaster will draw less current and use less power when the applied voltage is lower than nominal. Most motors will draw *more* current when the applied voltage is lower, for a given load on the motor. The increased current flow through the motor windings generates extra heat. If the undervoltage is severe enough and load high enough, the motor will overheat and can be damaged. That's why there are always warnings about choosing a heavy enough extension cord when one is to be used. Damage from overheating can be cumulative as the insulation on the winding eventually degrades to the point of failure.

Motors with electronic controls often have protection circuity to limit the current draw of the motor to safe levels. I don't know whether or not the Festool motor has such protection built in.

Blog Entries
    AE3D1E35-1C0C-4E68-AC9C-37F9A3801FDB.jpeg
    I never drank the green Kool-Aid, but I would certainly be furious if I had the Kapex or tracksaw issues with price tags nearly double that of other brands. I went with the Makita track saw, and as others have already said, it fits the Festool tracks. I would get the Makita saw and keep the Festool accessories. I have used the Makita track saw extensively to break down huge slabs of mahogany, trim countless mahogany doors, and to resize all sorts of sheet goods. My only issue is the blades are hard to find locally, and the 20mm arbor makes for less aftermarket blade options.

Sorry, I remembered seeing this shirt and couldn’t resist. Also, I just remembered that I did buy a systainer on eBay that came with a ton of Veritas tools inside. It was a crazy deal. It’s a decent tool toting device.

Blog Entries
    This thread is confirming my decision to not drink the green Kool Aide as a good one. My first power tool is an old B&D 7-1/4" Sawcat purchased while still going to school nearly 50 years ago. While it doesn't get a lot of use these days, it still runs like the day I bought it. And it has seen it's share of use with abrasive blades for concrete and steel. My son, an ironworker, has a couple of Metabo angle grinders from work that look like they have been severely abused and tossed in the scrap pile, but still work fine.
    NOW you tell me...

Blog Entries
    A few years ago a youtuber by the name of AvE did a tear down of the TS55. You can watch it here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oezp-_DcUgg

It wasn't a very flattering review for the Festool and it got the fanboyz in a right uproar over it. But the guy has got a lot of knowledge & creates some very informative content. He's got a potty mouth though, so NSFW.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    A category they still tend to win even when their tools, like their routers, fall further back in the pack during bake-offs.
    Glenn
    I wouldn't call myself a "Green Koolaid Fanboy" by any stretch. I can also let folks know of the limitations of the Festool products I own. For instance, I think their guide rails are woefully overpriced for what the buyer get, as well as not made particurally well. I own two guide rails, and I'm sorry, but for that kind of money, those ends/edges should line up a perfect 90 degrees, and self align. I've thought about sending mine to a machine shop to get those ends "tuned up".

The routers though, that's a different story. If there is another router out there on par with the OF2200, I'd like to know which one it is?? Take away all of the system integration features from the OF2200, and it's still the nicest router I've ever used. I have an OF1400 also, but that OF2200 is just a whole different level.

Oh yeah, I think the Festool blades are mediocre at best as supplied new. I sent mine out to be sharpened when they were basically brand new. They're not a $100+ blade as supplied new. I like my TS75, but the blades for it are, as I stated, overpriced.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 10-29-2019 at 11:38 AM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I have a TS75 that has been a fantastic tool for me. Made my life much much easier back in the day when i was self-funding my shop with commissions. Cutting table tops and islands to final length with a track saw was such a game-changer to me many years ago. This thing is in the systainer style prior to the T-loc, so im guessing its ATLEAST 10 years old at this point. Ive had it for maybe 6ish years. It fell off a sawhorse once and a mysterious spring popped out of the tool. I have absolutely no idea where that spring came from, but the tool operates flawlessly today. I dont use it as much now that i have a Felder slider, but its still a very nice tool to own. I think the kapex sucks--owned one for a hot minute--but the TS75 isnt that underpowered. It's a 10lb saw or whatever, you cant rip through 2.5" thick hardwood with reckless abandon. It will make that cut, but at an appropriate feed rate. Say what you will about the TS55, but the 75 does not have competitors. Over the years of ownership, ive used the 75 to full capacity many times.

Mike is correct, the 2200 is in a price range and class of its own. Ive never used another router as intelligently designed as the 2200. Expensive, but a pleasure to use.

Sanders and DF700 are all excellent.

The CT26 never impressed me as a general shopvac. It has half the oomph as my shop vac brand, but its a quality machine. Connected to their tools, it gets the job done well. Vaccing the floor is another story, it sucks there. Filter assembly and all the interior gaskets are quality.