Thread: Laguna 18/36 Lathe - Vacuum question

Question Laguna 18/36 Lathe - Vacuum question

Specific to the Laguna 18/36 lathe, what have you guys found as the best way to add a vacuum chuck to your lathe? Did you use the Laguna reverse flow inverter vacuum kit that uses your air compressor? A free standing vacuum pump? What chuck did you find works best? Etc.

trying to figure out best, most effective way to add this to expand holding capabilities for certain work. Also wondered what is most cost effective approach.

Thank you for any pointers.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 09-25-2019 at 10:05 AM.

I have the Laguna inverter and find that it works great. I had a vacuum pump set up on a previous lathe and wasn't sure about the inverter type of vacuum but I like it, it does a good job. My compressor has a 60 gallon tank so I always have plenty of air. I use homemade chucks.

When I had my Laguna I used their rotary adapter and a stand alone Thompson vacuum pump. I had the vacuum pump from my previous lathe. Never have used an inverter. I have several homemade “special” chucks, but I use the One Way vacuum chucks 95% of the time. Pricy, but they are nice and have no regrets buying them. I have the 5” and 3 1/2” (I think that is the sizes) When I sold the Laguna I kept their adapter and converted it to my new lathe. I is a very good adapter.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

I faced the same question a few months back. My large air compressor is loud, and I didn't want it on with the Laguna inverter. Bought the frugal vac system with the additional two rotary bearings. Its bulletproof. Would do it again in a heartbeat.
    Bill

Bill, what's the frugal vac system and from where?

6. Quote Originally Posted by Ashwini Kaul View Post
    Bill, what's the frugal vac system and from where?
    . I’m not Bill, but here ya go!

https://www.frugalvacuumchuck.com/
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    . I’m not Bill, but here ya go!

https://www.frugalvacuumchuck.com/
    Thank you much!