Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: wipe on poly over danish oil sticky

How far you sand really is relative to how you intend to finish. With many film finishes, you can cut things off at 180-220 and you'll get a pristine finish. When you are using straight oil like BLO or real Tung Oil, going up much finer is going to get you an uber-silky feel with many wood species and will increase the sheen level a bit as you build your finish. I go from 220 to 320 to 400 to 600 to 800 for things I'm just using oil on that are fine grained woods. Feels "ma-va-lous" in the end! The finer stuff like Micromesh, at least for me, is for "finishing the finish"...flattening and refining the surface prior to final polishing to a high gloss...but they can also be used to control sheen from matte to satin by themselves much as steel wool would be used for similar on cured oil based finishes.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I don't consider 10 coats extreme. I sometimes use more than 10 coats - I just keep applying every morning until I get the effect I want (let sit for maybe 20 minutes then wipe off gently, let dry until the following morning). I understand each coat, properly applied, adds a very thin buildup. The first two or so coats are critical, depending on the type of wood and how much it soaks up the finish. I know that I can almost also see a big difference with enough coats. Not a finish if in a hurry. Would be easier for a small woodturning than a large rocker.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    ...10 coats sounds extreme. ...

With a wipe on finish, something like 12 coats is the equivalent of 2-3 coats of brushed-on consistency, so yea, 10 isn't a lot.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

You can always poly it down the road if you find the DO not durable enough. I really think you'll be pleasantly surprised. I can tell you that I get the more compliments on the quality of my finish of my Maloof rocker than even the gorgeous form or design of it.

Every time you caress that arm, you'll appreciate the low build of the DO. Sanding to 1000 does exactly as you state: polishes the wood. This has a sealing effect in and of itself. Not so much that it inhibits the adhesion of the oil varnish finish.