Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Osage Orange Wood - Good stuff?

Nice wood for turning, offer it to the local turners group is nothing else.

I sawed some for a friend, it had green spots and dry spots. When I hit the dry spots, the mill about died. The blade would just stop cutting. Finally got through it, but was nasty. If it is green it saws fine, but seems like big pieces have spots of dry along with green.

It makes great fence posts too. Only down side is you have to move the post every 20yrs or so - - as the ground around it rots. (The post won't )

Jesting aside, my grandparent's house sat on blocks of it for ages with bottom ends just sitting on the dirt.

I have played with small pieces, and can second the quick fade of the yellow (to medium brown).

Bodark...Bois D'Ark which means wood of the bow.

It makes really great guitars! Structurally, it's an excellent replacement for Brazilian rosewood.

Got any left? I'm in Alameda.

I was excited to get a chunk to use in making a Krenov-style plane. Then I discovered how difficult the grain is to work with—easy to get tear-out in ribbons.

But all wood is interesting to have around. I would keep pretty thick and let air dry

Matt

No one is going to mention the hideous hedge apples, that are easily the biggest natural nuisance known to man kind? Thank your sister for me for cutting that blight on humanity down. Death to the hedge apple tree as they are known here.

It has limited uses for sure but is my favorite for wooded kitchen utensils, shop made latches and handles. Also makes a great foot for outdoor deck furniture. I've just paid $12/BF for osage orange in SW PA. It's hard to find here.

So the log is bigger than I thought hahaha!

24"x65"

Anyone know of someone that can mill it in the bay area Norcal?

Quote Originally Posted by keith micinski View Post
    No one is going to mention the hideous hedge apples, that are easily the biggest natural nuisance known to man kind? Thank your sister for me for cutting that blight on humanity down. Death to the hedge apple tree as they are known here.
    But only the female plants produce fruit. I'm guessing one can find pics and tips for learning to differentiate. I've always
    wanted to see a line of them grown as a barrier. I have a book by a local author that gives the locations
    of two old lines, but have not yet made the trip.

Quote Originally Posted by keith micinski View Post
    LOL. I volunteer at the local wildflower preserve and there are a couple of Bow Darks on the property. We get volunteers who haven't spent much time outdoors and it's our little game to try and make them believe they are mutated vegetables, tropical fruit left by pickncikers, Body Snatchers pods, etc.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    But only the female plants produce fruit. I'm guessing one can find pics and tips for learning to differentiate. I've always
    wanted to see a line of them grown as a barrier. I have a book by a local author that gives the locations
    of two old lines, but have not yet made the trip.
    My Dad planted a line on the first rental farm he had in 1943, near Emden, IL. He told me his idea was to grow his own fence posts. By the time he could get fence posts, he was long gone from that place and steel fence post were cheap. Also a lot easier to get in the ground! We had another line of hedge bulldozed from another rental farm. That pile made one hell of a fire, and it was the last of the flat tires on the tractors in that field. There are a couple of hedge rows near my in the city of Peoria, IL. Still there from when that area was farm ground. I'd wager they make horrible yard trees!

Blog Entries
    I grew up in Kansas and knew a lot of farmers.
    — they hate cutting the stuff. It dulls chainsaw blades. Could be hard on that chipper.
    — be careful burning the stuff. They said it burns very hot. Try small pieces. It also pops a lot so be careful if you put it in a fireplace.
    — ditto on The fenceposts. Great use for it
    — we had a small hand powered forge. My dad told me that the blower handle should be Osage orange for strength.

Osage makes great wooden mallets...Wish I was close enough to get some of the chunks...
    Joe