Thread: Think&Tinker -precise bits router collets?

Think&Tinker -precise bits router collets?

Is anybody using these collets? I seem to have trouble with the PC 1/4” bits slipping if I don’t bottom them out. I’m not sure if this is bad practice but sometimes I need to cheat a little more depth out of a short cutter. Wondering if these would help and if there’s any other advantages they can offer. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Fish View Post
    Is anybody using these collets? I seem to have trouble with the PC 1/4” bits slipping if I don’t bottom them out. I’m not sure if this is bad practice but sometimes I need to cheat a little more depth out of a short cutter. Wondering if these would help and if there’s any other advantages they can offer. Thanks
    I'm using them on my PC 75182 motor in my router table, to replace the cheap gimme collet that came with it. No runout to speak of, and they hold and release just fine. Probably less visible chatter with larger bits, but I didn't spend very much time with the cheap gimme. As to holding a 1/4" bit "by its toes", I've never tried that :^) but I think you could do worse. The kits they offer also include a collet "cleaning/conditioning" solution, which there is an outside chance could help hold or release better with "lesser" collets.

Thanks Doug, I think I’m going to give them a try. FWIW I don’t think I’ve been more than 3/16 out of the bottom so I don’t see why the factory one should not hold, it just doesn’t no matter what.

Collets do deteriorate to the point that they don't hold any more. The stock ones aren't really so bad, but I've had to replace some over the years. Thanks for mentioning that company. I hadn't seen them before, but now have an account, and $196 dollars worth of stuff in the shopping cart. I never bottom a bit out in a collet, but still expect them to hold. When one no longer holds, it just gets replaced.

The Porter Cable instructions say ,or at least used to say ,push the bit to bottom then back it out 1/8" before tightening.

I have no experience with their collets but I have bought some small tooling from them and had a good conversation with the owner about speeds and feeds not long ago. Give them a call to talk about your situation.

I consider collets to be in the category of "disposable/replaceable" tooling because they absolutely can wear or being to lose touch with their job. It's actually not a great thing to have to constantly bottom out a bit, either. The collet should hold the tooling wherever you put it if it's clean, undamaged and properly tightened. Many cutters these days even have a line on them to show you the maximum/ideal insertion depth...all my Amana bits are like that.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...