Thread: Powderpost Beetle...

Powderpost Beetle...

Anyone run into these buggers? I had some cabinetry built where some of the wood showed signs, but obviously still has activity.

Of a bunch of drawers, this is the only location that shows any activity.

After researching, I read that they dont feed on finished wood, this spot has already had some clear applied, and die off if the wood isn't wet.

Would like to salvage the wood for future use, bought about 200 bdft, but if they are still active inside, to the burn pile it may go.

Thx
    Attached Images Attached Images

There are literally "a lot" of threads on this subject. Powder post beetles are horrible creatures and the issue with using infested material is that they can and will spread to other things including the building. The only way to eradicate them is either very high heat over a period of time or professional fumigation. For most folks, it's less expensive to just buy new, pristine material. A finish on the wood will not solve the problem.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Yup! ^^^ They are horrible.
    Best to toss it out and start fresh. And hope you can get rid of all the bugs that happen to be outside of the wood, if you have a real bad infestation.

Thanks all, yeah I scrapped the lot, it was about 160 bdft, air dried, usually never had a problem until this batch..

I'll be more diligent if I use the air dried wood again, or go back to full kiln dried.

Thx

Even KD lumber can get critters...during storage after being dried.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

If you have a place to heat the wood, about 150 degrees F for a few hours will kill all the bugs and the eggs.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Jump View Post
    Anyone run into these buggers? I had some cabinetry built where some of the wood showed signs, but obviously still has activity.

Of a bunch of drawers, this is the only location that shows any activity.

After researching, I read that they dont feed on finished wood, this spot has already had some clear applied, and die off if the wood isn't wet.

Would like to salvage the wood for future use, bought about 200 bdft, but if they are still active inside, to the burn pile it may go.

Thx
    They may have difficulty getting through the finish on wood but there is a lot of places on furniture that doesn't have a finish on it. I know I had job security for a number of years replacing the bun feet on antiques coming into the country from Europe. Quite often a foot on a antique looked like it was in pristine condition but you could crush it in the palm of your hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    There are literally "a lot" of threads on this subject. Powder post beetles are horrible creatures and the issue with using infested material is that they can and will spread to other things including the building. The only way to eradicate them is either very high heat over a period of time or professional fumigation. For most folks, it's less expensive to just buy new, pristine material. A finish on the wood will not solve the problem.
    Ditto!

...and thanks to God you do not live in a tropical country like myself and some of our Oz friends... in this case the bugs and termites are a constant thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Jump View Post

Thx
    The statement above is factually incorrect, and even though you trashed the lumber I did not want to leave it unanswered.

PPB are a dry wood pest and can stay inside lumber for up to 7 years. They mainly exit when they are going to lay eggs on the surface of the lumber. A finish on the outside does nothing to eradicate the active infestation inside.