Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Binoculars

Binoculars

I have an Amazon gift card and decided on buying some Binoculars.
    Here are the two I am looking at. Stuck on if I want 8x or 10x
    I will be using them for looking at wildlife from my deck. As close as a few feet (birds at my feeder) to 1/4 mile maybe more.
    I have eyeglasses if that makes a difference.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B7LQ73U...v_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B7LQ8ES...v_ov_lig_dp_it
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Blog Entries
    The 8X42 would have less image shake and the image would look brighter than the 10X42.

This is my observation from having a pair of 6X20 and a pair of 12X25 binoculars.

Mine are of different brands and the 6X20 is of better quality. When they were purchased in the 1970s they cost a little more than the Nikons you are currently considering. Nikon binoculars were also much more expensive back then.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

We have a few pairs. 8 x40 and 10 x 50 are our main ones and we have a couple pairs of smaller ones for hiking and the glove compartment. I think the 8 x 40 are the most useful. The 10 x 50 are more powerful but heavier and more prone to shaking.

I’ve found REI has a pretty thorough guide on buying binoculars, which I’ve referred to when purchasing. Not a bad read...and there is mention of what to look for if you wear glasses...

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/binoculars.html

I’ve also found binoculars that stay in focus no matter the distance...so no refocusing when going from close up to far away.

We are reasonably avid birders and have had many sets of binoculars over time. I've found the 8x40 range to be an ideal combination of magnification and field of view, with enough light gathering capacity to give a nice bright image. We also have a telescope on a tripod for more distant viewing.

There is a huge range in image quality and how they fit your face (and glasses). Location and ease of use for you of the focus mechanism is key. This is not a product I'd by sight unseen over the interweb. You really need to try before you buy.

Another unfortunate finding-- once I bit the bullet and bought a pair of Leitz Trinovids (about 25 years ago now) there was no looking back. The image clarity and brightness is so much better than any of our intermediate priced binoculars (Nikon and Bushnell) that I can't stand using anything else. So if you go to the store don't look through the Leitz optics-- its like the difference between a 1970's Sears hand plane and a Lie Neilsen.

If the main consideration is viewing wildlife, I'd consider something like a spotting scope or other monocular type telescope and a tripod. Myself, I can never get binoculars 'tuned up' to fit both eyes. I've seen several spotting scopes set up to attach a smart phone for viewing onscreen and taking pics...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    ...once I bit the bullet and bought a pair of Leitz Trinovids (about 25 years ago now) there was no looking back...
    I have a pair of 7X42 Leica Trinovids that have literally been all over the world with me and recently, my wife got me a pair of Zeiss Conquest 8X30's as a birthday gift. My eyes aren't great and I really struggle with anything that has a small exit pupil or narrow field of view. I participate in fauna surveys at our local wildflower preserve and often let the other folks use my binocs to check out a bird or whatever. Almost always, they have this startled look once they put them up to their eyes and say, "Wow! These are so bright".

To the OP, I'd go for the 8X model.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

I have a pair of Nikon binoculars that I bought 20 years ago, good quality at a bargain price. It is important to preview before purchase at a shop. Binoculars that are in good alignment and adjustment should provide a good 3D image and depth of field. The Nikons you selected maybe satisfying but if they just cannot be adjusted for comfortable viewing basic alignment is likely out of spec and not at all suitable.

Cheap binoculars almost always have parallax issues. For the same money, a cheap spotting scope will give better results because there aren't two sets of optics to have to be perfectly aligned.

Nikon 12x50

I have a Nikon 12x50 specially done for Bird watching. I purchased it at the beginning of this century and it goes strong.

Minimum to nothing CA (chromatic aberrations) and easily focus (relatively) close, a must have feature for bird watching.

It is extensively used - unfortunately I lost the nitrogen filling when I sent it to a full clean up last year...

I have owned at least 6-8 pairs of binoculars. My current ones are Swarovski 8.5x42. Divide the lense diameter by the power to get the exit pupil diameter. 40 divided by 8 equals 5. This is mm,and 5 mm is about the maximum diameter the human eye pupil dilates to in low light. If you look at 12x20 or 10x20 the exit pupil is 2mm or smaller hence less light and darker images in low light. If you want decent binos for cheap the porro prism design is easier to make inexpensively. (dog leg shape). Roof prisms are the straight barrel shape and it costs considerably more to make these to a high quality level. I would go with 8x40 or 7x35 power.

Nice binoculars are really nice to use but they cost quite a bit more than what you are looking at. My recommendation is:
    1. Go to marine store that sells lots of different models or to wherever they sell multiple quality binoculars. Line them up and try them out.
    2. Consider how long you will enjoy using them and how much a year you are willing to pay for them. Don't toss out quality optics until you have tried them and thought carefully.
    3. Then make decision on which pair to buy.

If used primarily on your deck you may not need to consider lightweight small birding binoculars. Binoculars that stay in focus from close to far, have a wide angle of view, and gather lots of light with good optics are really a joy to use. When looking through a selection of binoculars you will discover good optics can be better than the higher power on a different pair of binoculars.

Good luck on your selection. You will enjoy a good pair every time you look through them.

My wife has recently developed an interest in birding and wanted a pair of binoculars. I found this set of recommendations at a review site associated with the New York Times. They say that improvements in technology have brought the prices of really good binoculars down dramatically. She has been happy with the pair I bought for her for a little under $200, if I recall correctly.

What ever you buy, make sure that it has image stabilization. Night and day difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Grier View Post
    Nice binoculars are really nice to use but they cost quite a bit more than what you are looking at. My recommendation is:
    1. Go to marine store that sells lots of different models or to wherever they sell multiple quality binoculars. Line them up and try them out.
    2. Consider how long you will enjoy using them and how much a year you are willing to pay for them. Don't toss out quality optics until you have tried them and thought carefully.
    3. Then make decision on which pair to buy.

If used primarily on your deck you may not need to consider lightweight small birding binoculars. Binoculars that stay in focus from close to far, have a wide angle of view, and gather lots of light with good optics are really a joy to use. When looking through a selection of binoculars you will discover good optics can be better than the higher power on a different pair of binoculars.

Good luck on your selection. You will enjoy a good pair every time you look through them.
    Marine binoculars are not the best for bird watching. Usually these binoculars will not focus at closer distances of a few meters a mist have feature for bird watching. Marine binoculars are optimized for far distances.