Thread: Help please: what I need to buy to switch on/off a far away dust extractor?

Help please: what I need to buy to switch on/off a far away dust extractor?

Hello I need help! Since I move my dust extractor kind of away from the laser machine, each time I need to turn the blower on/off, I have to run back to where the blower is physically. That is a lot of back and forth running for me. I remember I read somewhere about a switch or whatever it is called, but I just could not find it anymore. Can anyone tell me how to conveniently hoop up a dust blower in the back room to close to the laser machine so I can easily switch on/off without physically run back and forth?

Thanks!

I just Googled “dust collector remote”, came up with some great solutions.
    Scott
    Rabbit Laser RL-60-1290, Rotary attachment, Corel Draw x6, Bobcad Ver 27
    Juki-LU 2810-7, Juki 1900 AHS, Juki LU-1508, Juki LH-3188-7, Juki LH 1182
    Sheffield 530 HC webbing cutter

$12 for this one on Amazon, I have like 15 of these all over the house, different brands, they all work great-- you just need to make sure they can handle the amps, this one can...
    -- since you're not a contributor yet you won't see my pic, so here's a link to it:
    https://www.amazon.com/Woods-32555WD...78094210&psc=1

wr.jpg
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Thanks for the suggestions so far, but I kind of intend to get something NOT wireless. I need two such devices, one for the dust collector, one for air compressor. In your experience for those who use these, are the wireless remote ones working as reliable as WIRED ones? Thx

Quote Originally Posted by Byron Lu View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions so far, but I kind of intend to get something NOT wireless. I need two such devices, one for the dust collector, one for air compressor. In your experience for those who use these, are the wireless remote ones working as reliable as WIRED ones? Thx
    Either do it yourself or get an electrician to wire in a regular switched outlet. Very easy to do, put a regular light switch wherever you want it that you flip on and off to switch the outlet. Just need appropriate gauge wire for the load and put it wherever you need. I've got a switch to turn our blower on and off that way.
    Epilog Fusion Pro 48 - 120 Watt
    OMG Laser 60W JPT MOPA Fiber
    Mimaki UJF-6042MkII e UV Printer

Blog Entries
    I bought a half dozen of the outdoor remotes that Kev posted a few years ago at Home Depot for 1 cent each. Closeouts. I got all they had and gave away a couple.
    I use two of them with my laser. One for the Air pump and the other for the blower. They work perfectly as long as you have a straight line to the switch. My outlet is high, above the laser so is easy.

I just made a wired switch for my dust collector. Used a 30 amp relay and cheap microswitches on each of my blast gates. I had just put on a couple and they worked when I bought a member's Cyclone that has a VFD.
    I just wired in the same microswitches to the VFD which work fine. 12v DC low voltage. But that is a side issue.
    I got the idea from a Youtube video

Mine was made similar to Franks here at this link
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqJ1gggJfO4

Uses low voltage wire and switch that you can place anywhere.....

Mattias did one where the DC comes on when his saw is turned on.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfHB5AoAAbs
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

I have been using a simple power strip for years. Run the power from the laser to the dust extractor turn it on and off at the laser. Just don't run the wire on the floor
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

I used all three methods listed above. I started out with a power strip near the laser that I would turn on and off when needed. I then plugged the dust collector into a wall socket wired to a light switch on a nearby wall and that made the work area more organized. I finally went to a wireless remote switch from Harbor Freight when I moved the collector to another location outside and have been using that for maybe 14 years now. I LOVE having my key fob right next to the laser or the ability to pick it up and move it to another part of the room while working on other projects. I will only give it up kicking and screaming and crying. The only time I had a problem with it was when the battery in the key fob finally wore out about 4-5 years ago and I had to put in a new battery. My HF one looks like this one on Amazon
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Chance in Iowa View Post
    I used all three methods listed above. I started out with a power strip near the laser that I would turn on and off when needed. I then plugged the dust collector into a wall socket wired to a light switch on a nearby wall and that made the work area more organized. I finally went to a wireless remote switch from Harbor Freight when I moved the collector to another location outside and have been using that for maybe 14 years now. I LOVE having my key fob right next to the laser or the ability to pick it up and move it to another part of the room while working on other projects. I will only give it up kicking and screaming and crying. The only time I had a problem with it was when the battery in the key fob finally wore out about 4-5 years ago and I had to put in a new battery. My HF one looks like this one on Amazon
    Thanks for your story. I think I will try the remote one for now.
    And thanks everyone else for your perspectives and help.

Take a look at the Grizzly Long Ranger remotes. I have two of them, one on my dust collector and one that controls the exterior lights on my barn. They have been reliable for over ten years and you can program them to operate on a different frequency so you can use multiple remotes and configure them as needed. For instance my barn lights are controlled by two remotes one in the house and one in my shop. I hang the remote for the barn lights near the entry door, the remote for my DC I carry around the shop as needed, sometimes i clip it to my belt when I am laser engraving for long periods and have to multitask.

Trust me you will be glad you decided to purchase remote starters over having electrical switches.

https://www.grizzly.com/search?q=(re...trol+OR+switch)
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 10-01-2019 at 8:30 AM.

My two laser chiller units are connected to smart plugs, and the plugs are programmed to switch on just before I usually start in the workshop, its saved quite a bit of electricity, as I used to run them 24/7. The plugs are also connected to Amazons Echo, so in theory from the house I could also turn them on with a voice command, I also have an echo in the workshop, mainly for playing the radio, but I could also use it to control the chillers, could the same work for you?
    Shenhui SG350 fitted with a 60w tube.
    Aeon Nova 10 100w tube.
    Aeon Mira 5030 30w RF tube.
    20w Fiber Laser.
    50w Fiber Laser.
    Located in the Isle of Man, which isn't in the UK but almost surrounded by it.

I use wired remote to activate the blower on the CO2. The wireless controls air, additional blower, and lights.
    $25 for both.IMG_20191002_013951684.jpg
    Last edited by James Minick; 10-02-2019 at 2:46 AM. Reason: Forgot pic

I've used these switches in my last 2 shops. My blower is far enough away that it's very low noise & the light reminds me it's on/off. Same with the Air Assist.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC