Thread: Tilting spindle shaper

Tilting spindle shaper

Hello all

I'm looking for advice on a tilting spindle shaper. At least 5hp preference is 7.5 hp. I’d like the spindle to tilt back rather than forwards. For what intend I do not think a sliding table is necessary.

Who has what and likes or dislikes it?

Ive looked at the grizzly “ extreme” series. It looks like a good value, anyone own this machine?

I own a Hammer tilting spindle shaper however it's 4 HP.

I've used a Felder tilting spindle shaper in that power range. No dislikes.....Rod

Reality is 4 hp is probably fine. What is the largest cutter you've used?

I was was shooting for 7.5 hp because it's probably over kill and I wouldn't likely ever need anything more powerful.

Ive had enough regret over not going big enough with machines.

On on the other hand space is starting to be an issue..
    Last edited by Neil Gaskin; 09-29-2019 at 4:37 PM.

HP is not the true measure of a shaper, especially a tilting spindle design. The quill design itself, distance between and size of the bearings, and the heft of the trunnion the quill is attached to are better measures. If the quill is attached to the cast iron, the thickness of the table is important. A fixed table shaper will often have a fence that can be mounted on either side of the table so the tilt in effect goes both ways. Dave

I have a Minimax T50 shaper that has both a sliding table and tilting spindle. My machine is single phase ,5 h.p. The spindle tilts forward on my machine,I have not used this feature at all yet. The sliding table is something that I have used quite a bit. Overall I am very impressed by this machine,I bought it in about March last year. I have used a 4'' high corrugated head 100mm diameter to make some custom base boards, a rebate head,steel 50mm height and 120 mm diameter. Those are the two that I have used the most. There have been other smaller cutters that I have used as well. The table opening in this machine is about 8-9 inches diameter ,so not really designed for real big cuters. I purchased this machine used and there is a 100mm 6'' high corrugated head that came with it that the previous owner used. That is all of the spindle capacity under the nut. I think that may be pushing this machine a bit,however when I bought it I checked the runout of the spindle at the bottom ,middle and top of the spindle and it is bang on everywhere.

I just don't see myself needing a 7-8" Dia. Cutter. Am I missing something?

then again I never thought I'd have use for a 16"+ jointer.....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Gaskin View Post
    I just don't see myself needing a 7-8" Dia. Cutter. Am I missing something?

then again I never thought I'd have use for a 16"+ jointer.....
    Yes, bigger is better. Groovers, tenon discs, insert cope and stick heads, panel raisers..

The grizzly fence on the class below that extreme unit (5-7.5hp units) is nothing short of awful. Is be looking for a scmi, sac, griggo, unitronix or some other used euro shaper

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Gaskin View Post
    Reality is 4 hp is probably fine. What is the largest cutter you've used?

I was was shooting for 7.5 hp because it's probably over kill and I wouldn't likely ever need anything more powerful.

Ive had enough regret over not going big enough with machines.

On on the other hand space is starting to be an issue..
    The largest cutter I have is a 200mm tenon cutter.................Regards, Rod.

Blog Entries
    I use 2 stacked 220mm rebate cutters to cut tenons. They work great and can cut a quite deep tenon.

Personally, I believe the sliding table to be one of the best items of my machine (a 4 hp Felder CF741). The sliding table is quite useful for cutting tenons as well as rails in cope and stick work.

Mike

Have you considered getting the big 7.5hp Grizzly that doesn’t tilt and instead building a jig to hold your workpiece at the appropriate angle and using a tilted feeder to run your stock? I say this because the cheaper units from the likes of Grizzly, Powermatic, Jet ect might not be that accurate when you are using it with the spindle in the 90 degree upright setting. It might have a tendency to move due to vibration or not lock down at 90 or not stay at 90.