Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cordless trim router question

Bill, I think that you did well. I have the corded version - would like the cordless, largely for the built-in light and extra power, although I am not convinced it would make much difference for the use to which I put it ... which is mainly clearing waste from hand sawn dovetail sockets. Since dust control is important, the router is still "connected" ... unless Makita or someone can come up with hose-free dust collection!

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    Really don't see the need for cordless.
    Sounds like you have never tried one???

Just one example: I had 3 MFT style slabs that I needed to chamfer about 180 dog holes (both sides) and several slots and edges that needed rounding ( both sides). Didn’t want to rout the MDF in my garage/shop so took the slabs into the back yard and completed everything on one 4.0AHr battery! Nice to not have a cord to drag out or get in the way.

FYI - as mentioned above batteries today have the power to replace many conventional corded tools. Three years ago I replaced all my gas lawn tools with battery power (including lawn mower) and haven’t looked back.

Bill, I doubt you'll ever regret investing in a quality tool!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Double check whether the standard insert adapter plate comes with that kit. You 'might' need to order that separately

I think once over the sticker shock, you will enjoy using that tool.

(I like the cordless router for the same reasons that I like cordless drivers/drills, although Derek has a point that dust collection still requires a connection... unless you just use it in a stiff breeze...)
    Last edited by Carl Beckett; 10-01-2019 at 4:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    Just a personal preference, really. Cords irritate me for some reason. But then so does country music and cat videos. Go figure....................
    You need top take that dirty talk elsewhere. 😂

Got the router delivered today, made template for the little hinges I'm using and blasted thru 10 or so setups in no time. It is a very nice tool, with better balance than I thought it would have with the battery on top, and of course not having a silly cord is a real treat. Came with the plunge base, and a guide for the fixed base and one for the plunge base. It was delivered in a huge case - maybe 14" square with a fabric tote inside the plastic case, both of which are already in storage in the basement. Only drawback was the price, which was about one and half times more than a box of my favorite cigars, but as Jim says: the most expensive tool is the one buy cheaply, and often.

Appreciate all the info from you folks. Now where is my Johnny Cash album..........
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.