Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cordless trim router question

cordless trim router question

I read the review in FWW that compared the Bosch, DeWalt, Makita, Ryobi and Rigid cordless trim router but didn't see any info on which of them, if any, accept standard guide bushings. And a quick bing search ddin't help. Anyone have experience with a cordless trim router that DOES accept standard guide bushings?

TIA.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Maybe this will help. I looked on the DeWalt, Makita, Ryobi, and Rigid tool sites for any information on the standardized PC template guide bushings for their compact/trim routers.

Finding none, I looked at the manufacturers'' instruction manuals for the cordless tools. The DeWalt DCW600B compact router manuals says on page 10 that the round sub-base will accept the "universal template guides." The others made no mention of accepting the universal/standard bushings.

This surprised me, but maybe I missed it. I looked on the Woodhaven site for any add-on sub-bases that will accept the universal bushings. Found a sub-base for trim/compact routers, but it is "two handed" . Might be able to cut it down for what you need or it will/would work without any modifications??

https://www.woodhaven.com/collection...-bushing-plate

Bill,

I have the Ryobi laminate trim router and I just went to the shop and checked and it will NOT accept a guide bushing. The backside of the plate is angled where a normal bushing would fit. Don't know why.

Bill

I've had Ryobi tools for ma

I have the Makita RTO700CX3. The plunge base takes the same template guides as the models 3612/C and 3600BR.

This is a photo I pinched from the web ...

The owner of this set was able to fit a generic bushing set ..

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks Ray - didn't think of looking at the manuals. Guess it'll be the DeWalt.

I really wanted to go cordless but the DeWalt is 170 for the tool, and then another 100 for a single battery and charger. I have a Makita 3705 trim router that's maybe 20 years old. Works great, and I don't think the round over bit has ever been taken out of it. But no guide bushing. So maybe corded since it's for 1 project. That Makita set up is only 220, and accepts the standard bushings, as you say. And it comes with a nifty little bag to boot - who could ask for more.
    2019-09-29_19h25_01.jpg
    So much for cord cutting...........

I have a DeWalt 611 trim router. It is corded. Like the cordless DeWalt Ray cites, the 611's baseplate for standard template guides is an extra-cost option. I hadn't realized that until I built myself into a corner expecting I could use the 611 with template guides. Instead of waiting for the optional baseplate to ship in, I made my own baseplate. I used quarter-inch baltic birch plywood. I might have spent an hour doing it. It was easy. So here's my suggestion: build a new baseplate for your Makita 3705 which will accept template guides. It will be lots less expensive than buying a whole darn router set just to get the template guide capability.

Another vote here for making your own baseplate that will accept PC guide bushings. It is easy to do and you can buy polycarbonate (Lexan) reasonably on Amazon or other online sources. In this way you can make any router accept template guides.

BTW, making specialized baseplates is a good way to unlock all kinds of capability from your router. If you'd like guidance or step by step instructions, look into a book called Router Magic by Bill Hylton.

Edwin

I have the Makita cordless. It takes an adapter to accept standard bushings. (I bought the adapter separately but some kits come with it)

I have both the plunge base and regular base

It looks like the exact same tool as Derek shows, just a cordless version

A nice tool and I really like the cordless feature, has become my go to router (unless hogging material then I bump up to the PC). Especially smaller detail work.

If you want I can check the details on the adapter PN

I have the DeWalt 611PK - both plunge and fixed base compact router(s) I also have the Makita cordless compact - just the fixed base at present.

I love them both - and I'm having just a devil of a time parting with the DeWalt in favor of going all cordless with Makita stuff.

The cordless Makita is such a pleasure to use. There's never a worry about a cord hanging up on something. Powerwise - the Makita beats heck out of the DeWalt, even though they are both rated 1.25 HP.
    The DeWalt plunge base takes the standard PC bushings.

Eventually I plan to pick up a plunge base for the Makita. When that happens, I'll probably get rid of the DeWalt....maybe....it's tough to get rid of something you really, really, really like.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    I really wanted to go cordless but the DeWalt is 170 for the tool, and then another 100 for a single battery and charger. I have a Makita 3705 trim router that's maybe 20 years old. Works great, and I don't think the round over bit has ever been taken out of it. But no guide bushing. So maybe corded since it's for 1 project. That Makita set up is only 220, and accepts the standard bushings, as you say. And it comes with a nifty little bag to boot - who could ask for more.
    2019-09-29_19h25_01.jpg
    So much for cord cutting...........
    I have the Makita set and it's definitely a 5-star tool.

Really don't see the need for cordless.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    Really don't see the need for cordless.
    Just a personal preference, really. Cords irritate me for some reason. But then so does country music and cat videos. Go figure....................

IMO the Li Ion batteries and the brushless motors have changed the tool world. Not saying they compare to the power of a corded tool, BUT the freedom of being cordless is pretty good to have. I have quite a few DeWalt 20v tools, and collecting more..... They make a really good tool. I'm sure the Milwakee tools are generally better, but more pricey. I started with the DW's and have many batteries. Once you have at least 3 batteries, having a charged battery should never be a problem.
    Just picked up the brushless jigsaw. Not having a tail on a jigsaw is really a nice thing if you making lots of turns.

Finally broke down and ordered the cordless Makita
    2019-09-30_21h00_41.jpg

More than I wanted to spend but the feedback here was pretty high on it. And if all goes well, the little project that prompted me to go looking in the first place will more than make up for it.

Thanks for all the feedback Gents - very helpful - as usual.