Thread: How to cut this stair tread? Advice needed

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How to cut this stair tread? Advice needed

Hello all,

I have been remodeling my stair case for the past few months, and thanks to all the help I received in this forum, I am finally tackling my last stair tread. It is the bottom most step and it has a challenging shape. It has a rounded front and sides, but the walls on the sides are making it hard to deal with. At this point I was able to cut the tread to fit snug against the riser and 2 sides and I am about to cut the front edge.

But here is the problem, once I cut the cut front edge, I will have to run it thru my router to make the bullnose (1/2 round bit). The 2 sides have a tiny wedge sticking out that I am afraid will break when the router hits it. My question is: how would you shape the front edge before making the bullnose?

The easiest thing to do would be cutting flush where it meets the wall (trim out that rounded corner). But isn't it somewhat ugly to have a small sharp edge on the ends?

On the pictures the line close to the pencil is where the riser meets the tread. The other line is the edge of tread (1 1/4" apart). The pencil gives you an idea of size. Note, the walls have rounded corners (look at the baseboard).

Thanks much. Hopefully this is my last post before the reveal
    Joe

IMG_8237.jpgIMG_8236.jpgIMG_8202.jpgIMG_8233.jpgIMG_8232.jpg
    Last edited by joe webb; 09-29-2019 at 5:47 PM.