Thread: Weight in design

Weight in design

Does anyone consider weight when designing a piece of furniture? I've made a couple of tables and chests following plans that made me think that it should be a design factor. My thinking is that a piece of furniture for normal use should be easily movable, and lightweight means efficiency in materials. Some things just seem to be over designed just because it's dictated by the available materials. I made a toy chest recently from plans, and when finished, it weighed 65 pounds. I couldn't help thinking that maybe it didn't really need 3/4" plywood panels for example, etc, if 3/8" would do, for example.

It seems to me that Shaker designs, for example, are much lighter weight for their intended purpose, which is one reason I favor them.

It is a important consideration, especially for larger pieces. Plywood is denser than many hardwoods and can make pieces quite heavy. A frame and panel design can reduce the total material volume and make pieces lighter weight. Good question.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

In my designs weight is always one of the factors to to balance during the build. A recent example is what I call the Grandkids Stool. Two steps that allows them to reach the sink to wash & the counters to help prep meals.

I made prototypes in different woods and let the kids use them for a few days. The clear winner was the stool made of pine. Very light weight so young kids can move it their desired location but plenty strong to support the big kids.

My specialty is customizing yachts. Weight is ordinarily an important consideration.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Thanks for input guys. Great simple example of my question, Frank. I want to take weight into account in my future projects, with a goal of making furniture that's easier to move.
    Last edited by Stan Calow; 10-02-2019 at 9:33 AM.

Blog Entries
    I use mostly hardwood in all my furniture. Yes the weight can be a consideration, but be careful not to compare the weight to the furniture being offered by most of the lower priced outlets. Their furniture has thin veneers or even worse contact paper that looks like wood over particle board. Solid wood furniture will hold up much better than plywood and can be refinished if needed or desired. I do save weight by using 1/4" ply wood for dust panels and back pieces that won't be seen. I use yellow poplar for drawer sides since it is nearly as light as pine and holds up better. No matter what material you use you want the piece to be solid.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute