Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY Cyclone Separator

DIY Cyclone Separator

Has anyone here made their own cyclone separator, If so what gauge sheet-metal did you use for the cone?

I'm looking to make a cyclone sawdust separator using a old 20 gal. steel drum for the upper section. I wan't to make the lower cone section out of the thickest sheet-metal possible so hopefully I can weld it together.

Doug

Blog Entries
    I can't help, but I remember seeing a few build threads and videos on DIY cyclones. The Google should bring something up.

Toyko Stu made his own with a good writeup on another wwing site. No idea if a search will tun it up or not. The one at Home Depot for the cutoff saw uses a oil drum for the cylinder. Maybe worth a look? A longer cone is more efficient but needs ceiling height. A internal ramp helps separation as well.
    Bill D

I used 30 GA for a 3/4 HP motor, as recommended by Wood Plans. It's not thick enough.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Why not just buy the SSD XL 6" for 240$? Might also check with ebay as someone used to sell a sheet metal cyclone on there.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    I used 30 GA for a 3/4 HP motor, as recommended by Wood Plans. It's not thick enough.
    I would like to be able to use 20ga. or better yet 16ga. sheet-metal, But forming the cone would probably be a total PITA!

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    Why not just buy the SSD XL 6" for 240$?
    The SSD XL 6" & many other units have a right-side inlet!
    I need a left-side inlet to match the rotation of my blower.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    Might also check with ebay as someone used to sell a sheet metal cyclone on there.
    Yeah there's a guy on E-Bay that sells a 6" cyclone with a left-side inlet for around $200, With shipping fees It would probably be around $270.

Being I already have the 20gal. barrel on-hand, All I would need is the sheet-metal for the cone, Probably only about $50 for the sheet-metal

Doug
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Walls View Post
    I would like to be able to use 20ga. or better yet 16ga. sheet-metal, But forming the cone would probably be a total PITA!

Doug
    A local sheet metal fabricator can very likely help you with the cutting and bending of the heavier gage material...they often have ways of "rolling the cone", as it were, because of transitions in large industrial/commercial duct work.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    they often have ways of "rolling the cone"
    Perhaps something like this

I haven't checked on just getting the metal cut & rolled yet, But there's a local sheet metal shop near me that does a lot of commercial HVAC ducting. That may be an option?

Doug

I downloaded a dxf of the cutout for a cyclone but I can't find it now. I just ended up building a Thien separator

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    I just ended up building a Thien separator
    How do you like the Thien?

I originally thought about making a Thien Baffle & then upgrading to a true cyclone later on, But I've decided to just try making the cyclone first.

Here's another thread of mine where I had some related questions.
    https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....With-Prefilter

I downloaded a dxf of the cutout for a cyclone but I can't find it now.
    Bill Pentz has a link to his plans in Excel.
    http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyc...etac160629.xls

I don't have Excel on my old laptop & I'm not planning on building a cyclone that size.

As for making a cone to fit the 16" dia. of my 20gal. drum, I'm planning to use the calculator on this site.
    https://www.kzell.com/calculators/

Doug

I like the Thien ok but it isn't a true cyclone. I use it for my CNC and when I surface the table it catches most of the MDF dust I get maybe a cup in my bag. My table is a 4 x 8 and I end up with about 5 gallons in the barrel

I get maybe a cup in my bag. and I end up with about 5 gallons in the barrel
    Actually for MDF dust that's probably pretty good!

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    I use 26 GA for all the ones we built in workshops. I make the cone from one piece of metal, and get both cone and cylinder from a 3 X 8 sheet of 26 GA. Julie, I think still have the parts for another here. It's yours if your travels bring you to central NC.
    I

i would look around for a premade cone. Do they make traffic safety cones big enough? how about those dog collar cones or some kind of garbage can lid. It shouldn't be too bad to make one out of fiberglass but attaching that will have to be well thought out..
    Bill D.

https://www.instructables.com/id/Dust-Cyclone-made-from-a-Traffic-Cone/

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....lastic-Barrels

https://www.sheetmetalworld.com/shee...in-sheet-metal