Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vintage Brass/Steel/Rosewood Try Square Accuracy?

Vintage Brass/Steel/Rosewood Try Square Accuracy?

Stevens post on "I guess I can use this" brought Try Squares to mind. I see old brass/rosewood/steel try squares on the auction site every now and then when I think about buying a large one. (I haven't bought a big one yet, but will likely have a 12" sooner or later.)

I do have one that belonged to my dad. It is a Stanley #20 in nearly new condition.

I checked it with one of my old drafting triangles a few years a go, and it was dead square, at least by my drafting triangle.

From my perspective, it looks like the old brass/rosewood/steel try squares were the premium models that they sold back then, there were all steel models, but they appear to be cheaper.

The question is, are a lot of these old premium try squares extremely accurate at 90 degree angles in your experience?

Thanks and regards,

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 09-29-2019 at 2:42 PM.

Blog Entries
    I haven't bought a big one yet, but will likely have a 12" sooner or later.
    The size designation on squares usually refers to the total length of the blade. A 12" wouldn't span the face of a 12" board.

One of my purchases on ebay was listed as an 18" square. That guy is big:

A Big Square.jpg

It may actually be a 20" model.

One to span a 12" board is also on my list of wanted tools.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Use the follooowing method to check for square

Please note you need to use a pencil with a sharp point to produce a fine line

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-_6r7Rzqm8

Note that anything made of different materials and held together with pins will move. The only question is by how much?

If you want accuracy to be ongoing, the only squares to consider are made for machinists ... and this excludes combination squares, which are made for woodworkers. Even the best Starrett combination square will lose accuracy given enough time. Parts that move must wear.

At the end of the day you have to ask how much accuracy is important and, if it is very much so, then invest in a machinist or engineer's square. The wonderful thing about these is that they can be had quite cheaply from Lee Valley.

Or, if you have a woodworker's heart, and a deep pocket, get an infilled machinist square from Chris Vesper.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 09-29-2019 at 5:32 AM.

Blog Entries
    The four cylinders method is one way. Another way is to check using a reference plate (surface plate) and a known square reference.

I like Starrett and Mitutoyo for squares, best to get one with a cert for use as a shop standard.
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 09-29-2019 at 9:01 AM.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I'm with Brian on this one. I have a drawer in one of the red roll around Craftsman tool boxes containing reference tools. I have a 24" Veritas steel straightedge which I tested on the CMM at work for accuracy which was .001" over the 24" length. I also have a 6" Mitutoyo engineers square, dial and test indicators, and a Fowler 12" long jaw dial caliper. These tools only come out to calibrate other tools like my daily use calipers and squares. They are not used on projects or in any use where the might get damaged. They are reference only.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

I just checked....the Stanley No. 20 I have in the shop...will reach out to 12" and will cross all the way across a 12" wide board....

Have about every size from that 12" No. 20 down to a 3" one..with 3 brass diamond shaped pins...even have a til...they share with the drills
    Wooden Squares, the til.JPG
    The Line up..
    Wooden squares 1.JPG
    Measurement?
    Wooden squares, no. 20.JPG
    12" from the brass side to the end of the blade..
    Wooden squares, mitre squares.JPG
    Stanley Rule & Level Miter squares, and
    Wooden squares, bevel gauge.JPG
    While we are on the Steel, Brass, & rosewood theme....
    Last edited by steven c newman; 09-29-2019 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Pictures, I hope

This Is Hand Tool Woodworking

What is a gnat’s nadger?
    It’s something very small. Smaller than a 1/64″?
    Smaller than I would care to measure.

If you’re getting any smaller then it’s a gnat’s cock hair.

https://www.theenglishwoodworker.com...l-woodworking/

For what it's worth, I'm with Stewie on this one. It's hand tool wood working, nothing's perfect. If it looks good, it is good. No one notices the small stuff unless you point it out.
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

2 line method...simple, easy, quick. needs a jointed straight edge on a scrap of wood...
    Check a square 1.JPG
    You can separate the 2 lines a hair...makes it easier to see any differences...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    This Is Hand Tool Woodworking

What is a gnat’s nadger?
    It’s something very small. Smaller than a 1/64″?
    Smaller than I would care to measure.

If you’re getting any smaller then it’s a gnat’s cock hair.

https://www.theenglishwoodworker.com...l-woodworking/
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Glenn View Post
    For what it's worth, I'm with Stewie on this one. It's hand tool wood working, nothing's perfect. If it looks good, it is good. No one notices the small stuff unless you point it out.
    +1 on both of these.

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    2 line method...simple, easy, quick. needs a jointed straight edge on a scrap of wood...
    Check a square 1.JPG
    You can separate the 2 lines a hair...makes it easier to see any differences...
    It also makes it easier to see the difference or even measure it with an inspection loop:

Search > inspection eye loop reticles <

Seeing or measuring variation of distance between two lines is easier than trying to get them to start at the exact same point and then see or measure. Start close and hopefully they stay close. Any variation is twice the error.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 09-29-2019 at 4:03 PM. Reason: clarification
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

In my experience, two factors weigh heavily on the accuracy front, how well the blade is fixed to the body and wear on the blade from striking or marking with steel tools. The old tools I have found have all had wear on the blade, luckily the blade is usually proud of the body and with considerable care a square reference can be marked and be filed and stoned to a close tolerance. Good luck.

I'd rather have an accurate square than a so-so square. It may be woodworking, but using inaccurate squares is a recipe for frustration.

Chris Wong and his Magic Square agree with me ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

And just who said mine aren't accurate?

I like to shine up the brass and polish the rosewood on those beautiful old squares. I have a variety of different brass pin designs and blade sizes and have found most of these squares are pretty accurate (plenty accurate enough for woodworking).
    If I find one that is slightly out-of-square when checking against my steel squares, I have always been able to correct this by holding the square by the wood part, and giving the blade a sharp whack onto my bench top to move it a smidgen in the desired direction.