Thread: Finish coating before applying sick-on tape or not?

Finish coating before applying sick-on tape or not?

I've made a side extension table and storage unit, out of Baltic Birch plywood, for my SawStop. It's to the left of the blade. This will give me the ability to support stock to the left with 48" of additional support.

I've routed in a slot for a T track, so I can use a stop for receptive cuts. I've also routed a very shallow dado, next to the T Track, to put a Starrett self adhesive metal tape measure.

I'll Polyurethane this when I've got all the construction done, but my question, should I stick the self adhesive metal tape measure to the unfinished plywood or should I polyurethane the top and stick the tape to that finished surface.

I just wonder which surface will provide the better bond.

Thanks
    Last edited by ChrisA Edwards; 09-29-2019 at 3:00 PM.

I think you will be better off attaching it after, just scuff the surface.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    I've made a side extension table and storage unit, out of Baltic Birch plywood, for my SawStop. It's to the left of the blade. This will give me the ability to support stock to the left with 48" of additional support.

I've routed in a slot for a T track, so I can use a stop for receptive cuts. I've also routed a very shallow dado, next to the T Track, to put a Starrett self adhesive metal tape measure.

I'll Polyurethane this when I've got all the construction is done, but my question, should I stick the self adhesive metal tape measure to the unfinished plywood or should I polyurethane the top and stick the tape to that finished surface.

I just wonder which surface will provide the better bond.

Thanks

The adhesive on things like that sticks best to clean, dry and smooth surfaces. I believe I would apply it after putting the finish on the surface.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Let the poly dry for a few days or weeks, worst case you have to rout it again.

Blog Entries
    +1 on after.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler