Thread: Weatherseal 1/2" Overlay Cabinet Door

Weatherseal 1/2" Overlay Cabinet Door

Unusual application but I have a window fan I am building a box around and want to stop any draft when fan is off. I mounted the fan in a plywood panel that replaces the upper sash and now building a box (cabinet like construction) to block cold air from coming in when fan is off, open doors when fan is in use. It's a 10" louvered fan like used for an attic but using for ventilation of orders.

Construction is very similar to a kitchen cabinet with a face frame, euro-style concealed hinge and 1/2" overlap of door over opening.

Now the weird part. I need to weather seal the door and looking for suggestions on a gasket design or part.

Latest thought process led me to something like this from McMaster-Carr to mount on the edge of the face frame but this is a little bit too big

A lot of smart and creative folks here so hoping for a better, more elegant, idea.

I'm afraid that band-aiding weatherseal on to a door won't work very well. Instead, select a good weatherstrip, and design your door to use it. For exterior doors, two good schemes are kerf-in weatherstrip, and bulb weatherstrip.

You'll also need more closing force than self-close euro hinges provide. The door latch needs to compress the weatherstrip as it closes.