Thread: Surprise tool sale finds

Surprise tool sale finds

Went to Boulted Bread on South Street in Raleigh this morning as is Saturday tradition for my family. The old building next door had a tool sale going on, the gentleman running it said his wife's grandfather had owned the building and all the tools. I spent $13 for all of the items in the picture. The brace is really.. interesting? I guess it's meant to drill at a 45 degree angle? Figured it at least makes a neat shop decoration The Disston saw seems like an old one to me by the handle shape, but that's the extent of my knowledge. Really no idea what it is. There's a crack in the handle but it seems in decent shape otherwise.

Anything look good?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Steven,

The brace is designed to drill in corners and through a plate between studs, etc. It is for drilling holes in locations where you can't get a regular brace in or you can't turn the handle on a regular brace.

An older carpenter friend from years ago had one. Back in the day, it was a pretty good options for difficult locations for drilling. As mentioned, he told me the main use he had for his was drilling through a plate between studs when you could not get a regular brace in there.

I can't remember for sure, but I think it may be called a corner brace.

Had to look it up. Yep, corner brace is the name. There are between 20 and 30 of them listed on the auction site under that name.

Regards,

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 09-28-2019 at 9:43 PM.

The brace is often referred to as an installers brace,meant to drill holes in floors and ceilings right next to the wall to run telephone or cable tv wiring.

Interesting brace....The saw looks like much work.....Good finds
    Jerry

Handsaw looks like it MIGHT be a D-23?

A Stanley/North Bros. YANKEE No. 41 push drill, with all of it's bits....Great for making pilot holes for screws and nails. hard to find the bits, though.