Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Axiom style machines

These folks possibly make the Grizzly model I linked above as it looks very similar to this one.
    http://acctekcnc.com/html/products/r...6/0217/44.html
    https://www.grizzly.com/products/Gri...C-Router/G0894

Quote Originally Posted by bobby milam View Post
    https://acctekusa.com same manufacturer but they are the U.S. importer. I never even used their mach 3. I removed it right away and put in Acorn.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    Anyone ever tried or heard anything about the Grizzly CNC?
    They now get a 1-2 star rating on ResellerRatings.com. Terrible reviews and customer service. I could not find one review of this CNC! I would stay far, far away.

Yeah, I think overall grizzly is ok as long as you don’t expect Martin level quality for what you pay. This CNC looks to be the same as one of the Acctek Chinese models I think. But it looks like it’s new and I sure don’t want to be the ginnea pig for a tool category I don’t yet understand. I think the Axiom, Laguna and Powermatic units are also about the same from what I can see.

I found a used like new Powermatic 2x4 model for $5,500 firm including computer and Vectric software (not sure which version) but that price seems too high to me for a machine without warranty compared to what I could get a similar machine for new in a different color. The Laguna IQ and Powermatic seem over priced compared to their direct competitors.

Still trying to to decide what I should do.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Kaslowski View Post
    They now get a 1-2 star rating on ResellerRatings.com. Terrible reviews and customer service. I could not find one review of this CNC! I would stay far, far away.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    These folks possibly make the Grizzly model I linked above as it looks very similar to this one.
    http://acctekcnc.com/html/products/r...6/0217/44.html
    ER20 collets on a 3hp spindle? That doesn't seem right. My 1.7kw spindle (2.28hp) uses the larger ER25.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

If you look at these rebranded Chinese machines, I think they are all over priced. The best deals when I looked were importers of Chinese machines that didn't try to disguise them as a rebranded machine. You are paying for the stickers to be added on. When i was looking i found 3 companies that imported them and had a reasonable markup. One s who i mentioned where i bought mine. there was another in Chicago and one in California. Have you been watching craigslist? You find some used ones at a decent price occasionally.

It will take a little more research off calling to get info because when they don't have the big markup they usually rely on the Chinese company's literature online which can be limited because most of these companies have many different machines that are made in various sizes. If a budget is limited then your best bet will be making the calls and speaking to a person.

One of the biggest issues you have right now is the added cost of the tariffs on China. If a deal is important to you wait till the trade wars settle down.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    ER20 collets on a 3hp spindle? That doesn't seem right. My 1.7kw spindle (2.28hp) uses the larger ER25.
    On a Chinese machine ER20 can be normal. My machine came with a 3kw spindle and ER20 collets which i had no issues with. I just replace it with another 3kw ATC spindle and that one uses ER25.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I have one 3hp spindle with ER20, and another with ER25. From what I have seen, the ER20 usually come with the air cooled spindles and the ER25 with the water cooled ATC spindles.
    David

My 1.7 kw HSD spindle is air cooled. I see that the 3 kw (4.4hp) HSD spindle also appears to use the ER25. (also air cooled) No matter...I was just surprised at the specification with my limited knowledge of many of the machines out there.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    I found a used, but like new, powermatic 2x4 for that price but I’m not finding much support for the powermatics.
    The Powermatic is essentially a rebranded Axiom. I believe Axiom actually supplies them for Powermatic.
    Thanks,

Mike DeRegnaucourt

Axiom AR8 Pro CNC, 60-Watt Epilog Legend 36EXT, Prusa MK3 3D Printer, SE-DC16, Powermatic Bandsaw, JET Lathe, Craftsman Lathe, Rigid Drill Press, Excalibur Scroll Saw, Craftsman Tablesaw, Delta Dust Collector, JET Air Filtration, Craftsman Planer, Old Craftsman Jointer, JessEm Router Table with Porter Cable 7518 Router, etc...

Aspire v9.5, CorelDraw 2021, Corel Video Studio 2019, ShaderMap Pro, GIMP, Mesh Mixer, Fusion 360, Sculptris, Google Sketchup, etc...

So I’ve been looking at control software like the UCCNC type products and the direct PC control seems nice. That said how does the Richauto B11 DSP approach really compare? The laguna, powermatic and axiom machines all seem to use this approach. If I’m understanding you basically just miss out on the real time tool path modeling and spindle speed control or something?

the used powermatic 2x4 seems like a nice machine if I can get it for the right price. Just wondering if I’ll really despise the control approach. Also if I did how hard would it be to convert to acorn or similar down the road?

can you tell I’m new to this? LOL

Greg...
    I cant even guess what your talent skillset level is, but I do a RichAuto to Acorn conversion for $1200. Since this conversion includes a Lenovo CNC-PC, Acorn system & pro license, you can se there isn't lot left for the actual install $$. A number of others have made the
    DIY
    conversion themselves. YMMV
    Gary Campbell
    CNC Replacement & Upgrade Controllers
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

Thanks Gary. So serious question, what is the benefit over the rich auto approach for a newbie looking at a first CNC?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Campbell View Post
    Greg...
    I cant even guess what your talent skillset level is, but I do a RichAuto to Acorn conversion for $1200. Since this conversion includes a Lenovo CNC-PC, Acorn system & pro license, you can se there isn't lot left for the actual install $$. A number of others have made the
    DIY
    conversion themselves. YMMV

Greg...
    The RichAuto systems have all the basic features. The PC controllers will have, depending on the brand, numerous other features, the least of which is a full screen display of system function and position. Spindle speed, feedrate control, on the fly adjustments, and dozens, if not hundreds more. Some feel that just being able to choose Imperial units (inches) is enough for them

An analogy would be a 15 year old car AMFM radio and todays infotainment centers. If all you wish to do is listen to talk radio, todays versions do little for you. But, if you wish to add feature and function and a lot more control over how the machine works for you, the one of the PC based controllers will be an option you would look into.

Another feature is "out of the box" support. OEM's will only support the options and settings they choose. There are lots of ingenious tinkerers using Acorn and if you want to add accessories or customize a macro, the user base is there to help you.
    Last edited by Gary Campbell; 10-01-2019 at 1:03 PM.
    Gary Campbell
    CNC Replacement & Upgrade Controllers
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

Thanks Gary. I appreciate the feedback.

Just need to decide which direction I want to go. It’s nice to know I can upgrade the rich auto setup though if I ended up going that route initially.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Campbell View Post
    Greg...
    The RichAuto systems have all the basic features. The PC controllers will have, depending on the brand, numerous other features, the least of which is a full screen display of system function and position. Spindle speed, feedrate control, on the fly adjustments, and dozens, if not hundreds more. Some feel that just being able to choose Imperial units (inches) is enough for them

An analogy would be a 15 year old car AMFM radio and todays infotainment centers. If all you wish to do is listen to talk radio, todays versions do little for you. But, if you wish to add feature and function and a lot more control over how the machine works for you, the one of the PC based controllers will be an option you would look into.

Another feature is "out of the box" support. OEM's will only support the options and settings they choose. There are lots of ingenious tinkerers using Acorn and if you want to add accessories or customize a macro, the user base is there to help you.

Gary's comment about having a robust display is one of the things that I really like about my CNC setup. Everything I need to know about the job and relevant settings is right there in a single window with certain controls (feeds/speeds) being able to be adjusted in real time with the rodent. It's been surprising at how many times that's been very useful to fine tune performance while cutting something. Often, my ears tell me that an adjustment is necessary. So that's my way of saying that I'm happy that you are open to potentially making a change to a more robust control system at the right time for you if you start out with a more basic controller. Ultimately, I believe you'll benefit from that.
    --