Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Axiom style machines

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    Any reason to think I won’t be able to get the axiom pro 6 in the back of a suburban with the rear seats all down if removed from the stand? Thinking it would be safer than bouncing around on my trailer for a 6 hour drive.
    I would take the trailer just in case. There is a saying that we use. It is better to look at it then look for it when we did trade shows. I always liked to be prepared for the unforeseeable

Well if I rent the suburban I’m not allowed to tow per rental car companies (if it has a hitch). The measurements/specs point to it fitting. If I don’t then I’ll be using my ford fusion and trailer. No easy way now that I dont have a truck. I guess I could rent a pickup truck and then just worry about possible rain.

But I’m thinking it should fit. The suburban can hold 49” x 102” and has 34”+ height per google search. Ugh. Think I’m gonna have to go measure one.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 10-10-2019 at 5:34 PM.

Will the base fit along with the CNC

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    Will the base fit along with the CNC
    I think so. I have one reserved to pick up tonight. Will measure and see

Just make sure the gantry and spindle is lashed securely so it doesn't move during tipping and transport.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Will do. I’m taking an assortment of tools and items to better help with what we need to do to make it fit and to get it loaded. Also including items like duct tape, ratchet straps, rope, etc. will make a point to immobilize the unit before we load and before travel. Will take my roll of plastic wrap material too as that can help to immobilize it if wrapped nicely.

Got out the suburban rental. Love it and wish we could keep it. Much larger than the BMW X3. Reminds me of my F350 crew cab that was traded on our motorhome when I got my company car. The suburban is huge and cavernous inside. We should be able to get the stuff loaded with a little effort. Only issue will be managing the weight but space doesn’t seem to be an issue. In fact I think it may fit with the second row seats left up but for sure with all folded down.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Just make sure the gantry and spindle is lashed securely so it doesn't move during tipping and transport.

One thing that can help with securing things is to lower the spindle to the table using the controller (with some protective foam between it and the table) so it's "more stable" during transit. The big machines are actually shipped this way in most cases. That will require powering on the system prior to wrapping it up, so hopefully the seller can accommodate that.
    --

I was already thinking of lowering it for clearance but that is a good idea also. It is supposed to be setup for me to test when we get there. I’ll have to look for some foam to put in the car. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    One thing that can help with securing things is to lower the spindle to the table using the controller (with some protective foam between it and the table) so it's "more stable" during transit. The big machines are actually shipped this way in most cases. That will require powering on the system prior to wrapping it up, so hopefully the seller can accommodate that.

Boy am I pooped but after 9 hours driving and a few hours of sweat equity, the CNC is bought, transported and unloaded. Tomorrow will have to start the reassembly process as I’m too tired to do it tonight.

Think the deal was good. For about 50% new price it has stand, drawer unit and dust boot. Also he gave me a box full of bits, a thumb drive with all of his projects on it, a laptop that is supposed to have VCarve desktop on it, and a power step up transformer to make it work on 110v power (which I don’t need for now).

Anyway, for reference it will slide into a suburban. At least the 24x36 Pro 6 model with stand will. LOL

9E066F99-F479-42CB-8455-30CFD0BD70E0.jpg

Congratulations! That's a nice addition to your shop and you're going to enjoy using it to do all kinds of creative things. You'll want to work with the seller to get the VCarve license transferred to you...their participation is required for Vectric software that was supplied with the machine from the OEM. Contact Vectric to get the process.
    --

slid the machine onto the stand with help of some 2x4’s and my family spotting me here and there.
    6CA7CD44-312B-46D8-93BB-7D5BB9DB5C75.jpg

everything cleaned and dusted and assembled (not sure why pictures rotated. Sorry)
    E23D6D9B-E4DB-4992-A859-C5E631023824.jpg
    C19EA561-6146-454C-926A-5773D2626591.jpg
    9ECE8848-78EA-4BD2-A3F9-6EDD2C527396.jpg

Now I need to do some layout work this evening to get this into the place I’m envisioning it. Then time to start learning to use it.
    58E13D2F-3A2B-4937-B375-7568D569E943.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 10-13-2019 at 5:54 PM.

One really nice thing about these 2-by sized machines is that they are small enough that you don't have to have full access on three sides to load them and work with them. That makes them easier to fit into shop sizes that are common for folks who do woodworking for enjoyment. As long as the gantry has clearance to move fully and you have at least the front fully accessible, you'll be fine most of the time. And you can pull it out if you want to tile long things at some point just while you're doing the work.
    --