Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Axiom style machines

Quote Originally Posted by bobby milam View Post
    Also, remember that you can buy a cheaper version of vectric software like desktop and when you want to upgrade to vcarve pro or Aspire they will only be basically charging you the difference between the versions. It's really nice how they have the pricing setup.
    He can't buy VCarve Desktop as it will not accommodate machines/projects larger than 24"x24" which means he'd only be able to use half his machine. There's no functional difference between Desktop and Pro...it's strictly about supported job size. They offer Desktop to better support the small, hobby machine market with a lower cost, but limit job size to insure that folks with bigger machines cannot "cheat".

It's true, however, that Vectric's upgrade/uplift policy is very fair. I took advantage of that last January when I moved from VCarve Pro to Aspire. It was strictly the difference in cost between them.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 10-03-2019 at 9:34 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    So so I started looking at the Vectric software site and it doesn’t look like there is a Mac version of it. I don’t have windows running on our Mac so now I’m thinking it will mean needing to purchase a computer on top of the software..
    Many of us use the Vectric software on our Mac computers...via virtualization. I personally use Parallels to support this. There have been rumors of a potential MacOS version and many of us have been lobbying for it, but at the present time, it doesn't exist. They do have their North American user conference coming up in about a week or so, so who knows? The only Windows machine I own is the one that came with my Camaster CNC to run the controller. I do all my drawing and tool path work on my Macbook Pro, although I do tweaks, etc., while running in the shop on the Windows machine.
    --

What would i need to add it add it to my existing iMac? Honestly my iMac is old but still has decent specs. I rarely even turn it on since the advent of iPads. Probably makes sense to have a dedicated machine. Looks like I can get a windows desktop machine that would meet the specs for couple of hundred bucks off amazon. I have two 23” monitors sitting idle. May not be newest or game ready but I’d only use it for Vectric software.

My 27” iMac is a mid 2010 model with 2.8ghz icore i5, 4gb 1333mhz ddr3 ram and anti Radeon 5750 1024mb video card. 1 Tb Drive. That too old for parallels and vcarve and whatnot? Seems slow to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Many of us use the Vectric software on our Mac computers...via virtualization. I personally use Parallels to support this. There have been rumors of a potential MacOS version and many of us have been lobbying for it, but at the present time, it doesn't exist. They do have their North American user conference coming up in about a week or so, so who knows? The only Windows machine I own is the one that came with my Camaster CNC to run the controller. I do all my drawing and tool path work on my Macbook Pro, although I do tweaks, etc., while running in the shop on the Windows machine.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 10-03-2019 at 10:47 AM.

My "backup" machine is a mid-2010 iMac and it runs Parallels and Windows just fine....but 4gb wouldn't cut it at all for that. Mine has 16gb it in...and also an SSD which made it like a new machine. RAM is cheap. I actually just added a 4GB stick to my CNC Windows machine today...it cost me $23 from Amazon for the same Crucial stick that came with the machine. My Macbook Pro (2019 15") has 16GB of RAM and I now keep Windows running virtual full time so I can click and start using the Vectric software immediately. On my older 2012 13" MBP with only 8GB, I found it was best to shut down Windows when I wasn't actually using it.

That said, you are correct that you can get a decent Windows machine to dedicate to the task, but don't buy super low end unit. You'll be best served with a decent, albeit not the highest end processor for cost control, 8+ GB of RAM and an SSD. My CNC Windows machine isn't high end, but it works just fine with the Vectric software even with 4GB, but I prefer 8GB for Windows and that's what's in it as of 4pm today.
    --

I just bought one of these to run my new acorn controller. The price was not too much more for the whole machine than just purchasing an OEM copy of Windows10.
    David

www. ebay. com/itm/1-Fast-HP-Windows-10-Pro-Desktop-Computer-PC-Quad-Core-i5-8GB-RAM-250GB-SSD-WiFi/271267412814?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid =p2057872.m2749.l2649
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 10-03-2019 at 7:48 PM. Reason: Removed direct link to auction site...prohibited by TOS

Well, road bump. I’m backing out on this one. Just found out there is not a 220v power supply where the machine is stored so no way to test it. While it’s probably fine and without issue, it’s a 4 to 5 hour drive from me. Even at less than 50% of retail it’s just too much money for me to comfortably take a gamble.

so, I’m back weighing options I guess.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 10-04-2019 at 9:16 AM.

Not being able to verify operation would turn me off, too.

There's a 2018 Stinger I SR-24 (2'x4') still listed in the classifieds at Camheads. It's a little more than you were looking at at $8500 OBO but has a bunch of options, such as a fully controllable spindle, performance upgrades, the recoil (ornamental) lathe, stand, computer, etc. One down-side is that it's on the left coast.
    --

Thanks. Saw that but way out out of my budget and too far away.

Not being able to verify operation would turn me off, too.

There's a 2018 Stinger I SR-24 (2'x4') still listed in the classifieds at Camheads. It's a little more than you were looking at at $8500 OBO but has a bunch of options, such as a fully controllable spindle, performance upgrades, the recoil (ornamental) lathe, stand, computer, etc. One down-side is that it's on the left coast.

For all I know he may be a member here but I haven’t heard back from seller since my initial bow out message this morning but did send a follow up asking if he could secure a spot somewhere for us to plug it in for a quick operational check. Not meaning to actually route something but to at least confirm it powers up and moves easily and fully through all three axis. Will see if he replies as ball back in his court.

EDIT: HE SOLD TO SOMEBODY ELSE WHEN I BOWED OUT. MY LOSS FOR WAIVERING.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 10-04-2019 at 4:30 PM.

When one door closes, another one opens............ sometimes. LOL

Found a like new Axiom Pro 6 for sale. Not quite as big as the Powermatic, but it’s setup in a shop and I should be able to see it operational beforehand. Messaged with seller today but was tied up playing in a golf tourney with my son. Supposed to call seller in the morning to find out more details about unit and what’s included. Price is roughly same as the Powermatic.

Anyway, the size is actually probably even better for my small space even though I really wanted the 4’ space. That said, the projects I will use it for will be smaller detail and accent work so 24x36 should be plenty big for 95% of time.

Fingers crossed on this one.

You can always tile longer work with an open bed machine like that, so if you need to cut something longer than 36", you can still do that. 'Hope it works out for you!
    --

You can always tile longer work with an open bed machine like that, so if you need to cut something longer than 36", you can still do that. 'Hope it works out for you!
    Thanks Jim. Deal made. Picking up next Saturday pending inspection for operational status.

Congratulations! And welcome to yet another addiction.
    --

Congratulations! And welcome to yet another addiction.
    Thanks. Although 12” shorter this one is currently functional for testing and includes bits, overhead dust arm (homemade one) and copy of vectric desktop. Has stand, drawers and dust collection boot. And looks like new. Should be a good start and I can upgrade as needed down road.

and if I understand I can transfer the desktop to my name for $50 and then upgrade to pro for way less than just buying pro outright.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 10-05-2019 at 7:40 PM.

Any reason to think I won’t be able to get the axiom pro 6 in the back of a suburban with the rear seats all down if removed from the stand? Thinking it would be safer than bouncing around on my trailer for a 6 hour drive.