Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Axiom style machines

Axiom style machines

Are there any machines similar in quality to an Axiom that I could get started using for $5k or less that would include a 3hp water coooled spindle (or upgrade path to one), a 2x4 bed and rolling stand? I found a used, but like new, powermatic 2x4 for that price but I’m not finding much support for the powermatics.

Im trying to get started without going the Shapeoko or other smaller kit route even though it’s just for hobby use now. Thx.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 09-28-2019 at 2:46 PM.

Have you considered going the Chinese route? I bought from Acctel USA out of Chicago and got a 4X8 with 3 Kw spindle for $6200. I know they will order smaller sized machines in but not sure of what the prices are but if I were to guess, I'd think closer to $3,000 for that sized machine. They do give support thru China but there is the time difference which causes an issue. I just changed over to Centroid Acorn and get support thru their forums. I've had mine about a year and have been very happy with it. At this point, if I were to buy another, I think I would go the same route.

FYI for the $6200, that was the cost out the door after they received the machine and tested it for any issues for several days before selling it.

I havent but but mostly because I don’t know enough about CNC yet to comfortably step outside the “kit” mindset approach. Also, I’m looking for something smaller to fit my space and budget which limits the pack.

Quote Originally Posted by bobby milam View Post
    Have you considered going the Chinese route? I bought from Acctel USA out of Chicago and got a 4X8 with 3 Kw spindle for $6200. I know they will order smaller sized machines in but not sure of what the prices are but if I were to guess, I'd think closer to $3,000 for that sized machine. They do give support thru China but there is the time difference which causes an issue. I just changed over to Centroid Acorn and get support thru their forums. I've had mine about a year and have been very happy with it. At this point, if I were to buy another, I think I would go the same route.

FYI for the $6200, that was the cost out the door after they received the machine and tested it for any issues for several days before selling it.

Go look at the Camaster forum and watch for used Stinger 1 in that size. I bet you could find it used for that price. Granted it might not have a spindle but many use the routers on that size. The camaster is built like a tank and they probably have three best customer support going along with their forum. I've never heard of anyone that bought one that was disappointed other than they wish they had bought a larger machine

Also found a brand called I2R that makes one of the entry Axiom machines and it uses UCCNC control rather than DSP, but it only offers a 1HP air cooled spindle. Looks nice from what I’m reading though.

I looked at the Camaster forum and most used ones are way out of my budget and too far away. Thanks for the tip though.

Go look at the Camaster forum and watch for used Stinger 1 in that size. I bet you could find it used for that price. Granted it might not have a spindle but many use the routers on that size. The camaster is built like a tank and they probably have three best customer support going along with their forum. I've never heard of anyone that bought one that was disappointed other than they wish they had bought a larger machine
    The Camaster people are like Festool people they think used should sell for 80 plus % of new

Check out the https://www.omiocnc.com/ folks, they are from China and I found out about them from Reddit. I was looking at the I2R as well, but this now has my interest. My only concern is the Mach 3 software/controller, from what I have been reading online it is rather old and the new Mach 4 software is so much better.

Have a link for Acctel? Not finding anything on Google for them CNC related, just IT related.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    The Camaster people are like Festool people they think used should sell for 80 plus % of new
    Jerry is right on the money here. Many non-commercial users believe in the kind of numbers that he states. Truth is, even if listed for those kinds of percentages, used machines without a warrantee seldom bring 50% of their selling price. There are exceptions for late model higher end commercial type machines, but for the most part there are some real bargains out there. I just spoke with a purchaser of a used 4 by 8 SB alpha
    who is looking for an Acorn control upgrade,
    that got it for less than 3 grand. Keep your eyes open!
    Gary Campbell
    CNC Replacement & Upgrade Controllers
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

Me neither. Im thinking maybe he might have meant Acctek. http://www.acctekcnc.com/html/products/router/

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kiblin View Post
    Have a link for Acctel? Not finding anything on Google for them CNC related, just IT related.

If my math is right the largest they have is only a 20”x31” with 3” z-axis. Also only a 2.2HP spindle. But the thing that turns me off most on the direct from China models is that I don’t really understand the specs enough and the machines enough to get comfortable with what I’m buying......... especially when I have to convert everything in my head to compare the machines. I realize many of the US machines are imported but at least they have put the specs into a presentation I can better comprehend. LOL.

Im still struggling with metric I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kiblin View Post
    Check out the https://www.omiocnc.com/ folks, they are from China and I found out about them from Reddit. I was looking at the I2R as well, but this now has my interest. My only concern is the Mach 3 software/controller, from what I have been reading online it is rather old and the new Mach 4 software is so much better.

Anyone ever tried or heard anything about the Grizzly CNC?
    https://www.grizzly.com/products/Gri...C-Router/G0894

Greg...
    I would suggest that if you decide to go the Chinese route that you purchase from a US reseller rather than direct. Of course they have a bit higher price, but it beats payment in full a couple months in advance and finding out that import taxes and shipping may, in the end cost more than the reseller charges. Most of these guys import in quantity, and have all costs listed in the published prices.
    Gary Campbell
    CNC Replacement & Upgrade Controllers
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    Are there any machines similar in quality to an Axiom that I could get started using for $5k or less that would include a 3hp water coooled spindle (or upgrade path to one), a 2x4 bed and rolling stand? I found a used, but like new, powermatic 2x4 for that price but I’m not finding much support for the powermatics.
    The Axiom and Powermatic are pretty much the same machine with different paint and a few little odds and ends. When I was starting to shop for a CNC and after I, like you, decided that I didn't really want to go the Shapeoko or similar route, I first looked at the Axiom. It was nice and had some compelling features, but the more I learned about control systems, the more I looked around for alternative machines. I did end up with one of the yellow machines built in Cartersville GA. Yes, they sell for higher prices used, but they also still sell quickly at those prices for whatever reason. I suspect, but do not know for sure, that other USA manufacturer machines like ShopSabre have a similar track record on resale. These manufacturers tend to put the same robustness into their small machines as they do for their larger ones because a lot of the small machines still see "professional" use. No matter...you have plenty of options. I suspect there will be another Stinger I coming up for sale used on Camheads based on a recent thread asking about how to price.

My suggestion as to what to look for is beefy construction, even if it's a put-together like CNC Router Parts. The nature of the motion with a CNC benefits from construction that doesn't flex easily. The control software is also good to consider because having a robust ecosystem of support can be helpful over time. WinCNC, Mach4, Acorn, etc... Clearly, you like quality tools, so in the long run, you'll probably be happier taking that route with the CNC, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

https://acctekusa.com same manufacturer but they are the U.S. importer. I never even used their mach 3. I removed it right away and put in Acorn.
    Last edited by bobby milam; 09-29-2019 at 12:12 PM.