Thread: Delta 20" Bandsaw help

Delta 20" Bandsaw help

I just bought a Delta 28-40 bandsaw for a very low price (200.00) because it has some broken parts and the guy didn't know anything about it (was left in his building when he bought it). Other than being somewhat rusty; the trunnion is broken, along with the upper and lower blade guide brackets, all the pieces are there, but being pot metal, I know about the impossibility of welding or pinning the parts back together. I searched for the following parts and for the first time....I can find not a single part! Very frustrating to say the least. I always wanted a larger band saw and I thought this was a good way to be able to afford one. I have lot's of experience restoring old machines and elbow grease is something I can do. The parts I'm looking for are

1. Delta 1347475 (2)
    2. Delta 1347481 (1)
    3. 1347491 Trunnion

If anyone knows of a source for hard to find parts; I'd really appreciate it!
    I'll ad some pics of the broken parts when I get everything offloaded.
    Where did I put those band aids?

Dueane, If you don’t get an answer here, join the old woodworking machines forum and post a wanted-to-buy there. Lots of knowledgeable folks with old bandsaw parts.

Check with Carter. They have replacement parts for many, many BS.
    https://www.carterproducts.com/band-...and-saw-guides

Thats a great bargain Dueane
    I made a trunnion bracket for my 24" ACM machine.
    Got quite the surprise when I undone the f-clamp holding it together.
    I thought it would work better than it does, not that I'm going to be tilting the table often..
    If I had known what I know now, I would somewhat copy the designs of Laguna or SCM, but without the rack and pinion.
    and/or figure out a better way than the cam lock that I made, as it is effort to adjust and never locks down fully.

I have no talents in metal fabrication! Good that you were able to make one so you could use your saw!

Neither have I
    Have you got any friends that could show you some tips for half an hour?
    I suggest you buy an arc welder for about 50 quid secondhand.
    You don't need much tooling atall really, a cheap cross pein hammer from the dollar store
    A few long steel nails used for masonry, these make good picks for slag, wear glasses and keep your mouth tightly shut as those nails can hit you in the teeth from recoils.
    Any old bench grinder for keeping them roughly pointy, sharpen 10 others for scribes.
    Two 4.5" angle grinders is very nice to have, to save swapping cutting discs and grinding discs...get thin 1mm cutting discs from the dollar store or automotive place.
    Try agricultural shops for the rods, and anything else you might need for the welder, like a new clamp will cost about a fiver, and glass costs about three or four bucks.
    Safety glasses are a must along with the shield that you probably would get with the welder.
    A wire brush, wear some old clothes for the grinding, and some masks, I like the really cheap ones that you can throw away.
    A vice is nice if you have one.
    That's about it
    Watch this guy, I believe these videos by Steve Bleile is regarded as the best out there.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvvzjbibNsE&t=203s

Not trying to annoy you or anything, just mentioning incase you cant find the parts your looking for.
    An arc welder is an awfully handy thing to have around if you think you might find more machines to restore.
    Providing you have a wee corner in the shop, or an enclosed space outside to keep the dog or granny from going blind,
    you have nothing to lose really,

Good luck with the bandsaw whether you find parts or have at it with the welder Dueane, hope she runs sweet for ya
    All the best
    Tom

You cant really go wrong with welding, if you mess up you just grind off the old weld bead
    Provided you make large chamfers for the weld to fill up, everything will be super duper real solid compared with something store bought.
    And to quote something from a fourmite...
    A grinder and paint makes you the welder you aint.

some pics of the broken parts. The broken blade guide brackets are soaking in vinegar to get the bearings out. I do not have the missing chunk of the trunnion.
    IMG_4611.jpg

I'm not a contributor, so can't see the pictures. But I highly doubt someone who has never touched an arc welder could weld a gray iron cast trunnion as their first project.

My advice is to forget being able to cut at an angle and just make a big hunk of wood to mount the table onto. Something like a piece of door header With some angle iron bits bolted to attach the table.
    Bill D.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    My advice is to forget being able to cut at an angle and just make a big hunk of wood to mount the table onto. Something like a piece of door header With some angle iron bits bolted to attach the table.
    Bill D.

I believe that may be the way to go. I'll look for a hunk of white oak. You can't break that stuff!

I can't remember tilting ANY of my many, many bandsaw tables so going stationary is the way if you can deal with it. That being said, I have a spare set for a delta 20 made from 51-1990, but they aren't cheap.

You missing a number from the model.

Mine is made in 1991. Model 28-640