Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Circular saw advice

Circular saw advice

I was chosen to pick out a circular saw as a Christmas gift for my bro in law, and am not sure what to advise. I personally have the PC left blade model, and love it but I think that saw is a little more than the giver wants to spend. Under $100 preferably. Does anyone have a ryobi, the price is good and I like their other tools. Thanks ahead for any help.

I would try to make sure that you choose one that has a blade brake on it. I bought a Milwaukee that does not have one. I like everything else about the saw. But I put a zero clearance pad on it to cut plywood, and I have to wait until the blade stops spinning to set the saw down. Sometimes I forget and set the saw down when the blade is still spinning, and I have a rude reminder when it makes that sound of carbide hitting concrete. But anyway, a blade brake would be a nice feature. HTH, Bill

Skil makes quite a few under $100.
    I bought a Ryobi before my Bosch and had to return it due to a defective clamshell case and switch. HD took it back no problem.

Pete

I believe the Craftsman CS are made by both Skil and Ryobi, just depends on which one. They have several decent models under 100.00 as well.

Corey

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Pedisich
    Skil makes quite a few under $100.
    I bought a Ryobi before my Bosch and had to return it due to a defective clamshell case and switch. HD took it back no problem.

Pete
    Peter.
    You must have a bad unit.
    I like the Ryobi for few reasons.
    A. $69.00?
    B. low noice.
    C. Strong and smooth motor.
    D. The blade stops faster than any other saw without an electric brake.
    E. Good ergonomics.

If they spend few more bucks on the base and the dust port, (at least they have one) they have a winner.
    The next one up is Hitachi.$89.00?

Dino,

Yeah, I got a bad one. And I agree the ergonomics on the Ryobi were better than the bosch that replaced it, but this was 5 years ago and it did not have a dust port like the newer 131 has.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Pedisich
    Dino,

Yeah, I got a bad one. And I agree the ergonomics on the Ryobi were better than the bosch that replaced it, but this was 5 years ago and it did not have a dust port like the newer 131 has.

Pete
    Peter.
    This is the one that I test.

7-1/4 In. 14 Amp Circular Saw with Laser

Model CSB140LZK

It's hard to beat a Skilsaw when it comes to price and quality together. I've never had bad luck with one.

I've got a 10 year old Craftsman 12 amp that does anything I've asked it to. I've cut all types of wood plus angle iron with it.

Last year I bought one of my employees a B&D 13amp and he likes it fine.

My experience has been that a sharp blade makes more of a difference than what brand saw I'm using.

I want to get one of the Skil black and grey saws just because I grew up seeing them on job sites.
    James

Question Hi, New member with ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Makropoulos View Post
    Peter.
    You must have a bad unit.
    I like the Ryobi for few reasons.
    A. $69.00?
    B. low noice.
    C. Strong and smooth motor.
    D. The blade stops faster than any other saw without an electric brake.
    E. Good ergonomics.

If they spend few more bucks on the base and the dust port, (at least they have one) they have a winner.
    The next one up is Hitachi.$89.00?
    Hi Dino. I am new to this sight and I am very interested in the EZ systems. I plan to purchace a dedicated saw for the EZ this week, then order a smart table kit next week, followed by an EZ smart guide and fence square within the month. I am on a bit of a budget and only want to spend 100 or less for a circular saw (my 20 year old Makita is a more than a little worn). I was wondering if the choice was yours, would you go for the CSB141LZX Ryobi at the Home Depot or the C7SB2 Hatachi at Lowes. I have enjoyed the EZ Forum and find your systems very inovative and the smart bench designs of Burt and others have inspired me. Thanks, John Blevins

Try the Craftsman 14 amp 7 1/4 CS. I had mine for 2 years and encountered no problem whatsoever. Godspeed.

I got the Hitachi C7BD2, it has the brake. Watch Amazon. I got mine for 99.95, free shipping and no tax. It was higher last time I looked. Blad brake could perform faster, but it's better than none at all. Smooth and powerful. And comes with a pretty decent blade. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

I just bought a Bosch worm-drive and absolutely love it!

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-Limited-...1282558&sr=8-1

JW

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Johnson View Post
    I was chosen to pick out a circular saw as a Christmas gift for my bro in law, and am not sure what to advise. I personally have the PC left blade model, and love it but I think that saw is a little more than the giver wants to spend. Under $100 preferably. Does anyone have a ryobi, the price is good and I like their other tools. Thanks ahead for any help.

I cannot speak of the ryobi saws, but I bought a $50-$60 skill and I'm very disappointed with it. The locking mechanism on the base plate has spun (internally) and it will only lock at depths of 1.5 inches or less. It was barely used when it failed. I'll fix it someday, but I shouldn't have to.
    I recently bought a PC MAG324 and I love it. I got it for $60 on the lowes clearance table. You might want to check out your local lowes on sundays, that's when they really chop the prices.
    Just my $.02...
    Last edited by Matt Vallad; 10-03-2007 at 4:58 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dino Makropoulos View Post
    Peter.
    This is the one that I test.

7-1/4 In. 14 Amp Circular Saw with Laser

Model CSB140LZK
    I'm not an EZ fan per se, but if Dino likes a particular Ryobi model for the EZ system, I would feel pretty good about the recommendation on the saw.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler