Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Woodworking Mechanical Pencils

Woodworking Mechanical Pencils

I have a few marking tools from Incra and Woodpeckers that have precision holes for use when marking with their mechanical pencils.

I have both the woodpecker and Incra mechanical pencils, but the lead in these seems so fragile.

If I get enough lead exposed that it will contact the wood, through the square or ruler, the lead is so fragile it just breaks.

If I just support the pencil, with no downward pressure, as I try to mark, I either break the lead or it doesn't leave a pencil mark.

What am I doing wrong or if there a better lead or pencil.

Try a 0.7 or 0.9 lead, and if you can find it buy the Gorilla lead: it's harder. I'll snap a pic of it in the morning.

The picture looked goofy when I pulled this up but this is the mechanical pencil I use:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's 0.5mm lead. My Incra T-rule requires 0.5mm. It is fragile. But this pencil retracts the lead when you push on the pocket clasp. So it is easy to retract it before putting it back in my apron. I bought it after seeing it in a Stumpy Nubs youtube and later saw the wood whisperer using one. I keep a carpenters pencil in my apron too for cruder marking.

Another thing I used to do is get an actual drafting pencil with thick replaceable lead and keep a sharpener handy. Sharpen it to a fine point when you need it. But I stopped doing that largely because of the Incra rule. I found with my track saw putting a mark where I wanted to cut was a limiting factor in my accuracy. The Incra rule helped a lot with that but you need the 0.5mm lead to use through the holes.

I use a Pentel 9mm pencil "Twist-Eze" which has a cushioned grip. I have 4 of them 1 in the shop, 1 at the computer, one in my gym log and 1 in the island in our kitchen.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

If youre breaking the lead, its probably the level of hardness of lead youre using. Try different values. FWIW I use 0.5mm and sometimes 0.7mm and never have issues with breaking either. Check out these links for more info: LINK and LINK
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

If I remember correctly, the Incra rules require a .5mm lead, anything larger won't work.

Yes there is/are better pencils.

Look into either the Kuru Toga pencil by Uni-Ball, or the Orenz by Pentel. Both are available on Amazon and each uses it's own unique design to reduce/prevent the lead from breaking. Or the Zebra DelGuard the design of which is claimed to make the lead impossible to break. All three are prime examples of Japanese technology.
    Last edited by Edwin Santos; 09-27-2019 at 1:16 AM.

I have some of the Incra and Woodpeckers marking tools, and the 0.5mm lead that comes with the pencils is too soft for serious woodworking. Try some 4H or 5H lead in the pencil bodies.

Just about any office supply store will sell different grades of 0.5mm refill packs. This harder lead makes a lighter mark, but it won’t break as easy as the lead included with the pencils.

Buy some of the really old Mikado, or early Mirado leads off of ebay. They had super fine graphite mixed with wax. You don't have to bear down at all to leave a mark. I use their old wooden pencils, as I can leave a finer line with them than any mechanical pencil. You'll be lucky if you can find them for less than real money though.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I use the pentel .5mm with HB Super Hi-polymer lead. You don't have to press very hard to get a visible mark on wood. I have at least half a dozen of these pencils in my shop and the elves love to hide them.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 09-27-2019 at 8:30 AM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I can relate to Lee’s comment. When you find something that works for you, get multiples. I believe I have 5, but have only seen two at any one given time 🙄

I use the Graph Gear pencils typically 0.5mm and 0.7mm with HB lead. Very little problems with lead breakage although I haven't tried other leads. I really like the way the lead and guide retract with a push on the top of the clip.

Graph Gear Pencils.jpg
    Dick Mahany.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dwight View Post
    The picture looked goofy when I pulled this up but this is the mechanical pencil I use:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I use the same one and it is great! This is a better picture...

Capture.JPG

These are the best mechanical pencils for woodworking on the planet, I have multiples of the 0.5,0.7,0.9 and find I use the 0.7 the most. The 0.9 is used mostly for rough lumber work, 0.5 for drawings and when I need a finer layout line.

I also use 2B lead which is a bit softer I find it breaks less but some of that is due to the guidance on this particular mech pencil, and I have a real heavy hand...

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Brader View Post
    I use the same one and it is great! This is a better picture...

Capture.JPG

Thanks again for the recommendations, I ordered some UnaNanodia Lead and Zebra pencils, so we'll see if that helps.