Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Edge or drum sander

I have some experience with commercial widebelts and will say that using them for anything other than a poor man’s planer (which many shops do...), requires a delicate touch of balancing pneumatic pressure, feed rate, etc. My impression of drum sanders (at least from shops I talk to) is that nobody truly loves them. More of a “because I can’t afford a widebelt”-type thing. Just my observation.

Since the Hammer edge sander got brought up in another thread and we’re asking about popularity of drum vs. edge, I will say that the HS950 seems to be selling well here in the States, if that’s any indicator that folks are going for edge sanders.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Thanks for all the responses. I had an old reliant 12” open end belt sander (not drum). Got it free from the lab at a particle board mill when the co I work for bought the mill to brown field repurpose. I never could get it to work very well so I gave it away after a year. I hav3 been thinking edge sander for a while and the new hammer got me looking again. Looks like I’ll order one Monday
    thanks all
    gary

Gary
    if it means anything, My dual drum sander hasn't been turned on in quite awhile, but I seem to always have my belt sander clamped in the vise to use as a small spindle, edge sander. I would love to have an oscillating edge sander.
    That said, I won't give up my dual drum sander anytime soon. I know it's not a wide belt, or a stroke sander, but it does work quite well.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Blog Entries
    Never had a drum sander, but I have a poor man's edge sander. It is an old Craftsman 6x48 belt sander upgraded with a 1 HP TEFC motor. Used it for production sanding aluminum extrusions for 15 years. I fabbed a vertical fence so I could use it for edge sanding. Just used it today edge and flat sanding parts for the Adirondack chairs I am building.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    NOW you tell me...