Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How loud are the Millwaukie M12 tools

How loud are the Millwaukie M12 tools

i see adds for the Milwaukee M12 tools and have to wonder how loud they are when running. Even the little Tanaka hedge pruners are loud. the Sthil circular saws are very loud. I know the old Porter cable bammer nail guns are not supported by the factory anymore,. Once the juice is gone the tool is useless. How long will Millwaukee continue to supply fuel cells?
    Bill D

Which power tools specifically are you asking about? I have lots of Milwaukee, Ryobi, and others and I don't notice that they are particularly loud. The replacement M12 batteries are available from many sources (including Amazon), and I would imagine they will continue to be available for many years to come.
    David

https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-4...a-784537719119

Blog Entries
    They are not loud compared to other tools and corded tools. I love the system and have quite a few of the M12 and M18. The only loud one is the impact drivers, although the M18 is louder than the M12. I just ordered the new hydraulic impact driver that doesn’t make the “clack, clack, clack” that a regular impact driver makes, and will do a review when it arrives.

If you go with Milwaukee, get the “Fuel” versions, as they are brushless motors and use less battery power.

I guess their advertising is wrong. they refer to the "fuel" system. I assumed this meant that they had IC engines with fuel similar to the Paslode nail guns. I suppose this means you can carry one on a plane and they can ship them air freight.
    I suppose this is similar to Porsche calling their all electric car a "turbo" model. It may have a fan to cool the motor, that is as close to a turbo as it could be.
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 09-26-2019 at 9:25 AM.

Malcolm you will love the hydraulic drive version. They are way quieter and smooth. Bought into the milwaukee M18 system in 2012,they have expanded the tools available by a long shot since that time. I do not think this platform or battery availability are going away any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I guess their advertising is wrong. they refer to the "fuel" system. I assumed this meant that they had IC engines with fuel similar to the Paslode nail guns. I suppose this means you can carry one on a plane and they can ship them air freight.
    I suppose this is similar to Porsche calling their all electric car a "turbo" model. It may have a fan to cool the motor, that is as close to a turbo as it could be.
    Bill D
    Their advertising is correct. The Milwaukee "Fuel" designation refers to the brushless dc motors as opposed to their non-Fuel models which uses brushes. Note that the M18 Fuel Battery Pack will work in the non-Fuel M18 tools as well.

"all M18 FUEL™ products feature three Milwaukee®-exclusive innovations—The POWERSTATE™ Brushless Motor, REDLITHIUM™ Battery Pack and REDLINK PLUS™ Intelligence Hardware and Software"

David

Blog Entries
    I guess their advertising is wrong. they refer to the "fuel" system. I assumed this meant that they had IC engines with fuel similar to the Paslode nail guns.Bill D
    Is this a joke?

Quote Originally Posted by David Buchhauser View Post
    Their advertising is correct. The Milwaukee "Fuel" designation refers to the brushless dc motors as opposed to their non-Fuel models which uses brushes. Note that the M18 Fuel Battery Pack will work in the non-Fuel M18 tools as well.

"all M18 FUEL™ products feature three Milwaukee®-exclusive innovations—The POWERSTATE™ Brushless Motor, REDLITHIUM™ Battery Pack and REDLINK PLUS™ Intelligence Hardware and Software"

David
    Milwaukee actually has some non-Fuel brushless tools as well. Brushed is their low end, Fuel is their high end, and some stuff (brushless non-Fuel) is their mid-grade.

Quote Originally Posted by Bert McMahan View Post
    Milwaukee actually has some non-Fuel brushless tools as well. Brushed is their low end, Fuel is their high end, and some stuff (brushless non-Fuel) is their mid-grade.
    Thanks Bert! That's good to know. Maybe some of my non-Fuel tools are brushless and I just didn't know it.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    Is this a joke?
    am not in the market for any new tools so I have not read the adds all the way. When they call a tool "fuel" in the name I assume a liquid or gaseous power source not an electron storage system. I doubted if they were really a IC engine powered unit but the adds do not really specify beyond cordless. And in reality battery tools are not truly cordless. At some point you have to recharge them from 120 volts.
    Bill D.
    Some examples

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/au...-boring-drill/

http://www.tanaka-usa.com/

Blog Entries
    am not in the market for any new tools so I have not read the adds all the way. When they call a tool "fuel" in the name I assume a liquid or gaseous power source not an electron storage system. I doubted if they were really a IC engine powered unit but the adds do not really specify beyond cordless. And in reality battery tools are not truly cordless. At some point you have to recharge them from 120 volts.
    Bill D.
    Some examples

Okay, I get it. I guess I've always been quite familiar to Milwaukee's 'cordless' tool line, so I though that sounded kinda funny. No disrespect intended there.

Bill D.
    Some examples

Maybe a trip to Home Depot will answer all your questions. They have most of the M12 and M18 tools on display and I'm pretty sure the Home Depot tool guy will answer all your questions.
    David

I was bike assembler for several years and used M12 Fuel drills and impact drivers. I tried others, but none were as tough, powerful and had the battery life of the M12 Fuel. Now...just wondering...what has "how loud" got to do with it?

I just saw an ad for a "atomic" powered set of cordless drills. I doubt they are fission powered... maybe they have a smaller "mr fusion" machine to power them.
    I wonder if the TSA will allow them as checked baggage? I thought any Flambale or radioactive materials were not allowed. Reminds me of the 50's when they had atomic styling and missile nose hood ornaments.
    Bill D.
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 10-13-2019 at 11:03 PM.

I just saw an ad for a "atomic" powered set of cordless drills. I doubt they are fission powered... maybe they have a smaller "mr fusion" machine to power them.
    I wonder if the TSA will allow them as checked baggage? I thought any Flambale or radioactive materials were not allowed. Reminds me of the 50's when they had atomic styling and missile nose hood ornaments.
    Bill D.
    Bill - maybe this will clear it up for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWzjWYRsvn0

Atomic Series Dewalt Drill.jpg